Author Topic: Create a version of codeblocks for children  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Frédéric

• Single posting newcomer
Create a version of codeblocks for children
« on: February 05, 2015, 10:02:03 am »
Hello,

I want to create programming workshops in C and C ++ for and with children. First I have to choose a compiler. I thought codeblocks but it is too advanced and I have not found anything else. So I decided to create a new IDE which is for children. The problem is that I have no experience in this kind of realization. I do not quite know how.

Compared with Code :: Blocks is not much. You will need:
- A page to enter the code (with syntax highlighting)
- Commands: run, build, build and run, rebuild, abort
- An output window with compilation errors
- The possibility to link library (single build options)
- Integrate the MinGW compiler

I thought from CodeBlocks by removing things.

Would you have any advice for me ?
Do you have an idea about the development of an IDE for C and C ++ with children? (For C and C ++ it is easy to create sub simpler languages using typedef and #define.)

There is a big demand on it and it could be a new branch of CodeBlocks.

Thank you very much.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Create a version of codeblocks for children
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 10:47:07 am »
i think that the approach to cut down c::b is a bit difficult for someone who has no idea of the code...

You can try to simply remove ui (remove toolbars) and use the new layout file. But removing and re implementing dialogs is a hell of work. Why is it to complicated for kids to learn things from ground up? I think the most kids (they, they really want) will get used to the ui pretty fast.

If you want a simpler ide tham you can look at dev-c++. It is pretty old (at least i think so) but the ide is simple as simple at it can get...

greetings

Offline teto

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 04:48:46 pm »
Use vim :)

I heard "geany" (http://www.geany.org/) is used in some universities to teach C. It may be worth checking out and easier to modify

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 07:16:40 pm »
If it's for children who are coding for the first time, why scare them off with C/C++ at all? Why not use one of the many interepreted languages (e.g. Python) that have much more interactive ways to immerse kids in code. For python, the IPython Notebook is pretty cool:

http://ipython.org/notebook.html

Offline Michaela Joy

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 03:24:52 pm »
Hi  Frédéric,
Instead of removing functionality from code::blocks, perhaps create a plugin that would allow the user to play an interactive tutorial from inside Code::Blocks?

An addon like that would be a boon for newbies learning to use code::blocks as well. If it could be done, tutorials for other languages / toolsets could be created.

Regards,
:MJ