Author Topic: Get rid of pop-up educational messages(yellow background)  (Read 5868 times)

Offline afc888ny

• Single posting newcomer
Get rid of pop-up educational messages(yellow background)
« on: January 07, 2015, 04:29:02 am »
   I enjoy using code::blocks and all, but when I am writing code, there is a really annoying feature that obstructs my line of view to the text I am typing, and that is the "pop-up educational/descriptive messages feature.  How do we uninstall/disable this feature?

Again, it is imperative that I can see the part of the screen I am typing, and these pop-ups obstruct me from seeing anything.

The pop-ups only go away when I move the mouse's cursor to another part of the screen, but then my productivity greatly goes down since I don't have the mouse cursor on the section of the screen where I used it last.

Concerning plug-ins, I have already disabled spell checker, wxSmith and the 2 help plugins.  These pop-up comments still keep appearing.

Andrew 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:30:35 am by afc888ny »

Offline afc888ny

Re: Get rid of pop-up educational messages(yellow background)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 05:57:04 am »
I found a workaround:
Only enable the following plugins and wah-la, no more pop-up messages blocking you from seeing what you are typing:
Plugins (Active)
Abbreviations
Autosave
Code profiler
Compiler

Cscope
-
DoxyBlocks

EditorConfig plugin for Code::Blocks
EditorTweaks
FileManager
Keyboard shortcuts

NassiShneidermanPlugin
-
Openfileslist

ReopenEditor
-
SmartIndentXML
SpellChecker
ToolsPlus

(Legend: '-' = to; e.g. "Cscope   -   DoxyBlocks";   This includes all plugins between Cscope and DoxyBlocks")

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 06:01:50 am »
It is called tooltip, and it is from CodeCompletion plugin. Not sure which version of C::B do you use. Normally, you can disable the tooltip in the CodeCompletion plugin's setting dialog. But if you use SVN HEAD build version, you may disable it from the Editor's setting dialog, since those options are moved to there, see:Re: CCManager settings dialogue plan
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 08:08:21 pm »
Using:
svn build  rev 10036 (2014-11-23 16:45:16)   gcc 4.6.1 Windows/unicode - 32 bit

I find the following use of chkEvalTooltip.

They are maintenance code only.

I cannot find any code where chkEvalTooltip is used to avoid the popup.
The only way I've found to avoid the tooltip is to comment out the CC code.

Code
plugins\codecompletion\ccoptionsdlg.cpp|109|XRCCTRL(*this, "chkEvalTooltip",        wxCheckBox)->SetValue(cfg->ReadBool(_T("/eval_tooltip"),         true));|
plugins\codecompletion\ccoptionsdlg.cpp|209|cfg->Write(_T("/eval_tooltip"),         (bool) XRCCTRL(*this, "chkEvalTooltip",        wxCheckBox)->GetValue());|
plugins\codecompletion\ccoptionsdlg.cpp|391|XRCCTRL(*this, "chkEvalTooltip",                wxCheckBox)->Enable(en);|
plugins\codecompletion\resources\settings.xrc|46|<object class="wxCheckBox" name="chkEvalTooltip">|

Offline afc888ny

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 03:26:27 am »
It is called tooltip, and it is from CodeCompletion plugin. Not sure which version of C::B do you use.

My code::blocks version - Release 13.12 rev 9501 (2013-12-25 18:25:45) gcc 4.8.2 Linux/unicode - 32 bit

Concerning disabling tooltip:  I look under "settings -> editor -> general settings -->editor settings".  There is no section "code completion" nor any option to 'enable on keypress only'.  I have navigated to Settings | Editor | Code Completion |  Code Completion | options: Disable SmartSense.  Unfotunately the messages still pop up.

Your link above "Re: CCManager settings dialogue plan" only describes where the "tooltip" configuration can be found in some other version than my release.

Remaining question:  How to disable Tooltips in Code::blocks 13.12?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 03:38:02 am by afc888ny »

Offline afc888ny

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 03:46:42 am »
Using:
svn build  rev 10036 (2014-11-23 16:45:16)   gcc 4.6.1 Windows/unicode - 32 bit

I find the following use of chkEvalTooltip.

They are maintenance code only.

I cannot find any code where chkEvalTooltip is used to avoid the popup.
The only way I've found to avoid the tooltip is to comment out the CC code.

Code
plugins\codecompletion\ccoptionsdlg.cpp|109|XRCCTRL(*this, "chkEvalTooltip",        wxCheckBox)->SetValue(cfg->ReadBool(_T("/eval_tooltip"),         true));|
plugins\codecompletion\ccoptionsdlg.cpp|209|cfg->Write(_T("/eval_tooltip"),         (bool) XRCCTRL(*this, "chkEvalTooltip",        wxCheckBox)->GetValue());|
plugins\codecompletion\ccoptionsdlg.cpp|391|XRCCTRL(*this, "chkEvalTooltip",                wxCheckBox)->Enable(en);|
plugins\codecompletion\resources\settings.xrc|46|<object class="wxCheckBox" name="chkEvalTooltip">|

I open terminal and run:
find . chkEvalTooltip -type f
terminal responding:
"find: `chkEvalTooltip': No such file or directory"

How are you searching for chkEvalTooltip?  I run "gksudo pcmanfm ~/.codeblocks/share/codeblocks/plugins&" and the directory is empty.

Andrew

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 10:32:35 am »
Not all settings of code completion plugin work at the moment as it's going under some changes. For the tooltips I already requested an 'enable on keypress only' option here -> http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,19765.msg135708.html#msg135708 but I didn't get a response. So I think the only solution to get rid of tooltips is to disable the code-completion plugin as of now.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 04:02:14 pm »
@afc888ny, FYI, the tooltip can now be fully controlled by CCManager's editing dialog, you can try to use a newest nightly build version of C::B to see them.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.