Author Topic: confused by openGL (begginer)  (Read 4196 times)

Offline longWayToGo

• Single posting newcomer
confused by openGL (begginer)
« on: September 21, 2014, 05:28:35 am »
I am slightly confused by openGL and API'S in general. I have no intentions of delving into openGL until I am competent in C++ programming as far as console applications take me (which seems to be the consensual starting point). At this time I am simply curious about openGL and API'S and have been looking into It.

The thing that has confused me is that where ever i read about openGL and using it with code::blocks, they all say that files have to be downloaded etc.
So if files are needed why does the 'sample' run when you open up an openGL project(the spinning triangle..

p.s. I have many many more questions about API's which I will most likely be firing your way in the future if y'all could help!

thanks.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: confused by openGL (begginer)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 09:08:46 am »
In general:
this is a Code::Blocks forum, any questions about other sdk's or general programming  violate our forum rules, except question like:
I know what to do, but don't know where to configure it in C::B.

You should probably (re-)read the rules.

You did not write anything about yourr version of C::B, compiler and OS.
If you are on linux you have the chance, that the needed files are already on your system, because another packages have them as dependency.
On windows it's most of the times much harder to get all the third-party stuff you nedd and you often have to compile it yourself or find out which compiler was used to create pre-build libs (because of compiler incompatibilites).

Offline longWayToGo

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 09:22:40 am »
firstly, I apologise for not adhering to the rules, to be honest I only saw the rules after I had posted. I know it a lousy excuse as the message with the rules is in bold.

Also I believe that my query some what pertains to code::blocks.

Code::blocks13.12 (version)
GNU GCC compiler

I was just wondering how 'code::blocks' can run the OpenGL sample without me downloading the files that are apparently required.

I apologise if this is a stupid question but I an completely new to code::blocks and OpenGL.

Thanks.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 09:57:43 am »
firstly, I apologise for not adhering to the rules, to be honest I only saw the rules after I had posted. I know it a lousy excuse as the message with the rules is in bold.

Also I believe that my query some what pertains to code::blocks.

Code::blocks13.12 (version)
GNU GCC compiler

I was just wondering how 'code::blocks' can run the OpenGL sample without me downloading the files that are apparently required.

I apologise if this is a stupid question but I an completely new to code::blocks and OpenGL.

Thanks.

You did not write anything about yourr version of C::B, compiler and OS.
If you are on linux you have the chance, that the needed files are already on your system, because another packages have them as dependency.

Offline Vuki

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 12:58:35 pm »

MinGW contains all necessary headers and libraries needed to compile an OpenGL program.

However, although programming OpenGL using OpenGL API calls only (like the CB sample does) is possible, no one does this in practice. Instead, people use helper libraries (freeglut, GLEW, etc.) that simplify the programming task. So, if you have read that files have to be downloaded, they probably meant these libraries. Hope that answers your question.