Author Topic: gdb cannot open file error  (Read 13604 times)

Offline whitebloodcell

• Single posting newcomer
gdb cannot open file error
« on: September 08, 2014, 07:49:21 pm »
Depending on which file I place a breakpoint in or in which file it first encounters a segmentation or arithmetic fault, gdb reports that it is unable to open that file. The log is below. It is a matter of urgency (thesis due today) that I figure this out and so far searching online has turned up nothing.

I changed to using the cygwin gdb from mingw included one as the mingw one was suddenly giving me a different error which I also could not resolve.

Code
Building to ensure sources are up-to-date
Selecting target:
Debug
Adding source dir: H:\SkyDrive\Development\HotHandByChance\
Adding source dir: H:\SkyDrive\Development\HotHandByChance\
Adding file: H:\SkyDrive\Development\HotHandByChance\bin\Debug\HotHandByChance.exe
Changing directory to: H:/SkyDrive/Development/HotHandByChance/.
Set variable: PATH=.;C:\boost_1_55_0\stage\lib;C:\cygwin64\bin;C:\cygwin64;C:\MinGW\bin;C:\MinGW;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86;C:\Windows\System32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files\Calibre2;C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2013a\runtime\win64;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2013a\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Windows Performance Toolkit;C:\Program Files (x86)\PDFtk\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem;C;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_51\bin;C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin;C:\ADT\sdk\platform-tools;C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Windows Performance Toolkit;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn;C:\Program Files\TortoiseGit\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\DTN\IQFeed
Starting debugger: C:\cygwin64\bin\gdb.exe -nx -fullname  -quiet  -args H:/SkyDrive/Development/HotHandByChance/bin/Debug/HotHandByChance.exe
done
Registered new type: wxString
Registered new type: STL String
Registered new type: STL Vector
Setting breakpoints
Debugger name and version: GNU gdb (GDB) 7.8
Child process PID: 13752
Cannot open file: /cygdrive/h/SkyDrive/Development/HotHandByChance/main.cpp
At /cygdrive/h/SkyDrive/Development/HotHandByChance/main.cpp:63

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: gdb cannot open file error
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 05:33:59 am »
Code
Set variable: PATH=.;C:\boost_1_55_0\stage\lib;C:\cygwin64\bin;C:\cygwin64;C:\MinGW\bin;C:\MinGW;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86;C:\Windows\System32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files\Calibre2;C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2013a\runtime\win64;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2013a\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Windows Performance Toolkit;C:\Program Files (x86)\PDFtk\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem;C;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_51\bin;C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin;C:\ADT\sdk\platform-tools;C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Windows Performance Toolkit;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn;C:\Program Files\TortoiseGit\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\DTN\IQFeed

I find that having multiple Copies of MinGW GCC in the system path to cause issues with running MinGW GCC.
I also find that having Cygwin or MSys GCC in the system path causes weird errors when running MinGW GCC.
No idea whether having MinGW GCC or MSys GCC in the system path causes issues using Cygwin GCC.

I have no idea if Cygwin gdb works well or at all in the current CB Release or Nightly.

For speed it might be faster getting MinGW GCC gdb working; but, I do NOT use the debugger much in Code::Blocks so not likely going to be able to help you.

Tim S.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:36:09 am by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 07:11:23 am »
My guess is, that it is Code::Blocks that can not handle the cygqin-path to the file and therefore cannot open it.

I suggest using the MinGWgdb, turn on debuggers "Full (debug) log" (in "Settings -> Debugger -> Common") and try to fix the issue you get here.

And as usual:
post some more information on your system: Code::Blocks version, OS/version, Compiler/version and debugger/version.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 07:07:40 pm »
I think this is the long standing cygwin issue I have no time to fix...
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Nightlane

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 08:29:20 pm »
Based on http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18559506/codeblocks-gdb-cannot-open-file-error

Those are the content of 4 files which contains exported register keys. Should work with the first 2 as I have tested.

I imagine it is a problem of using old register keys.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2]
"cygdrive prefix"="/cygdrive"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2]

Just in the case it is needed.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygwin\mounts v2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygwin\mounts v2]