Author Topic: Getting DX 9 up and running  (Read 6248 times)

Nacho

Getting DX 9 up and running
« on: January 09, 2006, 02:53:18 am »
Hello there! This is my first post so let me introduce myself: my name is Ignacio and I´m a sw engineering student from Argentina.

Anyway, I´m having some trouble to get a DX 9 sample application -which makes use of the DirectX Sample Framework- running. So far so good I created a new Win32GUI project inside a blank workspace and included all the relevant files and paths. Nonetheless, the compiler refuses to compile saying there´s a problem in one of the files from the Sample Framework (DXUTmisc.h). More specifically, in the line 112:

struct DXUTCache_Font : public D3DXFONT_DESC

because it doesn´t know what D3DXFONT_DESC mean. D3DXFONT_DESC is defined in d3dx9core.h. I´ve traced the inclusion sequence and d3dx9core.h is included by d3dx9.h which is included before DXUTmisc.h. I´ve tried switching the compiler from GCC to the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 and I get the exact same errors. Has anybody experienced a similar problem? If so, how did you solve them?

Thanks in advance!

--Nacho

sethjackson

Re: Getting DX 9 up and running
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 03:05:23 am »
Not sure if this will help or not, but you might read it anyways.....

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=1373.0

Nacho

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 04:00:16 am »
Not sure if this will help or not, but you might read it anyways.....

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=1373.0

Thanks for the link but, unfortunately, they´re not discussing the same problems I´m having (maybe I will after I solve the problems in the compilation phase and get to the linking process, I hope not!  :P)

--Nacho

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 04:32:29 am »
http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/directx9_c_Summer_04/directx/graphics/reference/d3dx/structures/D3DXFONT_DESC.asp

Header   d3dx9core.h
Minimum operating systems   Windows 98

Did you define your Target OS? #define WINVER 0x4000 or whatever. It might only be defined if you have the right OS, I've seen this before.
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 05:28:23 pm »
Hello,

In the forum there are 2-3 topics about DirectX (may be more). You can try an (advanced) search to get them. Probably, you will get an answer to your problem (or at least some helpful info :)).

Michael

Nacho

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 02:32:13 am »
Vampyre_Dark and Michael: Thanks for your replies! I´ve finally managed to compile a DX 9 project using the GCC compiler included with CodeBlocks. Do you guys recommend switching to the Visual C++ Toolkit or should I stick to GCC?

Thanks again for all your help!

--Nacho

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 06:35:58 am »
Should I stick to GCC?
That will start a religious war. Use whichever works for you. Don't let someone else tell you which you need to use.  :lol:
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 09:20:19 am »
Do you guys recommend switching to the Visual C++ Toolkit or should I stick to GCC?

I agree with Vampyre_Dark, especially now that debugging is supported for both compilers ;) (although I prefer debugging with GDB, but that's just me).
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 01:27:41 pm »
I agree with Vampyre_Dark and Mandrav :D. If I can give you an advice, try both and see with which of them you feel more comfortable and or which works better for your project.

Michael

Nacho

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 08:16:52 pm »
Ok. I´ll try, then! Thanks again for all your input.

--Nacho