Author Topic: Preserving file permissions  (Read 19162 times)

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Preserving file permissions
« on: March 29, 2014, 10:23:18 pm »
I finally got irritated enough by my scripts losing their execute permissions after being saved by C::B that I wrote a little plugin to preserve them:

https://github.com/spillz/codeblocks-python/tree/master/PreservePermissions

Wasn't sure whether to do this as a plugin or as a patch to the save routine in the SDK, so it's a plugin for now.

Notes:
* Linux only, because frankly permissions generally aren't used much on windows by most users, but if someone wants to patch for windows that's fine too.
* Uses system calls stat to get permissions and chmod to set them. It only works for regular save, not save as.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:28:02 pm by dmoore »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Preserving file permissions
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 01:33:11 pm »
I think it should be fixed in the SDK, no as plugin, because there is a changes for race conditions or sync issues.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 01:55:20 pm »
I think it should be fixed in the SDK, no as plugin, because there is a changes for race conditions or sync issues.

I was under the impression that NotifyPlugins was blocking and therefore synchronous. So race issues no more or less likely as a plugin I would think. Isn't the existing code already susceptible to arace issues anyway (because access to the original file is never locked) which in practice are never an issue?

But I can show you what a patch to the SDK would look like...

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 04:53:53 pm »
Attached is the alternative of an SDK patch. Wasn't sure what #IFDEF to use, so used __WXGTK__ for now.

Contrary to what I said about "Save As", one potential flaw is that when you overwrite an existing file with Save As, the permissions will be the same as the file you are overwriting. I can't decide if that's good or bad...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 05:54:24 pm by dmoore »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 08:37:42 am »
A check for platform::unix would probably be better. But you probably need to check for osx, too. I'm not sure what will happen with a cygwin builds thought.
Also the preserve_permissions argument is not used anywhere in the function, nor passed to false. So it should probably not be added.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 02:54:03 pm »
Thanks for taking a look.

Isn't the platform stuff for runtime checks? We need a compile time check.

I put the function arg in for the case that we don't want to preserve permissions for SaveAs - but need to add the code. Maybe a better way is to have a wxString permissions_from argument, which is the file to take permissions from?

Cygwin should be fine I would think. Does OS X have stat? (And that's __wxMAC__ or something anyway isn't it, which isn't in the patch)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 11:20:39 pm »
OSX is based on FreeBSD, so it is unix - thus most of the posix apis should work just fine.
But you're correct that the platform stuff is runtime only.

The wxString permissinsFrom parameter sounds fine to me.

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 05:01:45 pm »
Ping. Anyone have any thoughts on what is the right #ifdef to use to detect systems with stat?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 12:19:50 am »

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 12:40:52 am »
Thanks for the links.

This is hilariously comprehensive: http://nadeausoftware.com/articles/2012/01/c_c_tip_how_use_compiler_predefined_macros_detect_operating_system

I saw answers like this in a couple of places: http://stackoverflow.com/a/16107549/748925 so maybe this is better than __posix?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 01:09:56 am »
You could probably add some global macro which could be checked if we have posix or not.