Author Topic: Cannot launch the exe file  (Read 7834 times)

Pascal

Cannot launch the exe file
« on: January 07, 2006, 10:28:35 pm »
Hi,

I'm a Dev-C++ user and would like to move to CB. I downloaded it and now I'm trying to run a _single_ source file (I mean not within a project). From the "Build" menu, i can generate an executable but oddly, the menu entry "Run" remains disabled. As result I cannot launch the exe file within the IDE. How to solve this ? Many thanks in advance for responding to my question

Pascal

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Cannot launch the exe file
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 10:30:10 pm »
which version are you using ?

Pascal

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 10:56:28 pm »
1.0rc2 version, the last one, isn't it ?

Pascal

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 10:58:34 pm »
that's the last official released one, but if you feel up to it, you can always try a svn nightly build. I think stuff have been improved with regards to your problem, I am not 100% sure, but worth the to try out. You can download to days nightly in about 5 minutes, see NightlyBuilds part of the the forum.

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=1907.0
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 11:00:59 pm by killerbot »

Pascal

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 11:59:27 pm »
Please forgive my ignorance but  what have i to do with the
                CB_07jan2006_rev1673_win32.7z file ????
Is it a patch ?

Thanks for light

Pascal

rudin

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 12:13:03 am »
No, that is not a patch. That's codeblocks application binary (without compiler) that was build at January 7th, and based on rev 1673 on subversion repository. You will also need to download this file: http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.7z to launch codeblocks. Extract it on your codeblocks installation folder.

Both files compressed with 7z format. You can use 7-zip (http://www.7-zip.org) to decompress them.

Pascal

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 01:04:26 am »
I've learned a lot from your explanation (i have never heard before about those 7z files), many thanks, now the "Build" menu features are not disabled and everything seems to run correctly,
Bye bye dev-C++, hello Code::Blocks !! :D

Pascal

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 06:49:39 pm »
(i have never heard before about those 7z files)

IMHO 7zip is the best tool (or one of them) for compressing/decompressing data :D. I have successfully used it to compress old and unused data in my notebook and getting a compression ratio higher that WinZIP and WinRAR. Since I used it, I have never regretted it.

Michael

Offline artoj

• Almost regular
    • http://ajonsson.kapsi.fi/
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 07:02:38 pm »

IMHO 7zip is the best tool (or one of them) for compressing/decompressing data :D. I have successfully used it to compress old and unused data in my notebook and getting a compression ratio higher that WinZIP and WinRAR. Since I used it, I have never regretted it.

Agreed, and the lzma (the 7-zip compression method) is open format (unlike rar).

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 07:11:32 pm »
IMHO 7zip is the best tool (or one of them) for compressing/decompressing data
The user interface sucks big time, but then you can't deny that it compresses up to 30% smaller than WinZip sometimes... :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 07:19:12 pm »
The user interface sucks big time, but then you can't deny that it compresses up to 30% smaller than WinZip sometimes... :)

Yes, I fully agree. But I suppose or hope (:)) that this will change in the future (near or far). Personally, I also appreciate the LZMA SDK.

Michael

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 11:17:15 pm »

7zip is bascially the best compression around.  A tarball with 7zip can be 50% smaller than a gziped or bzip2ed one.  The only downside is the increase in compression and decompression time.  You will also see much better compression ratios when you larger data sizes.  This discussion on 7zip here.

takeshimiya

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 04:46:59 am »

There is room for a wx7Zip, open-source & multi-platform, supporting every kind of popular format (7z, zip, tar, gz, bz2, rar). :)
Too bad there is something called human resources :(