Author Topic: Usability Suggestion  (Read 5370 times)

Offline rawr

• Single posting newcomer
Usability Suggestion
« on: March 06, 2014, 03:21:57 pm »
Hi, I've decided to make codeblocks our environment of choice at my work - after a trial with codelite it seemed the better option.

There have been two things which have been annoying me though:

1. In the Management tab (where workspace and projects is) you cannot type out a word to find files, in very large projects like ours this makes code navigation pretty slow when you know which file you want to open, or have an idea what it's called.

2. Scroll wheel cannot be used to cycle through open code tabs - a lot of other editors support this functionality, I'm missing it quite a bit.

To me these seem like low hanging fruit for the development of codeblocks, which I feel would really improve the usability of it.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Usability Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 06:02:24 pm »
Hi, I've decided to make codeblocks our environment of choice at my work - after a trial with codelite it seemed the better option.

There have been two things which have been annoying me though:

1. In the Management tab (where workspace and projects is) you cannot type out a word to find files, in very large projects like ours this makes code navigation pretty slow when you know which file you want to open, or have an idea what it's called.

2. Scroll wheel cannot be used to cycle through open code tabs - a lot of other editors support this functionality, I'm missing it quite a bit.

To me these seem like low hanging fruit for the development of codeblocks, which I feel would really improve the usability of it.
1. Press Alt+G, wait for the popup window and start typing.

2."Settings -> Environmant -> Notebooks appearance -> Enable scrolling with mousewheel". On windows this focuses the tabs until the mouse gets moved away, because otherwise the scroll-events can not be catched.

Offline rawr

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 06:18:32 pm »
That's brilliant thanks. The scroll issue shouldn't effect us as we're using Debian.

Is there any documentation about functionality like this for codeblocks? It can be hard to work out where options like this are - or if they exist.

Offline rawr

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 06:22:33 pm »
2."Settings -> Environmant -> Notebooks appearance -> Enable scrolling with mousewheel". On windows this focuses the tabs until the mouse gets moved away, because otherwise the scroll-events can not be catched.

Hm it seems we do not have that option, we're currently using version 10.05, as mentioned before on Linux.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 06:35:03 pm »
Much too old  ;) .

You can try my repo (easiest way to get it on debian).
Works for nightlies and the release (see instructions on my server).