Author Topic: How good is CodeBlocks?  (Read 31797 times)

Offline v0xeh

• Single posting newcomer
How good is CodeBlocks?
« on: January 31, 2014, 09:28:10 am »
Hey guys, I am currently in college getting my AA and i decided that i want to major in computer science. I know it's a little late for me to decide that i want to persure software development this late in the game but I have always been really interested in coding since i was 14 and learned how to work with HTML,CSS and PHP. I have bought a couple of books for C++ and some other programming languages and am planning to start becoming a dedicated learner.

My question is, (keep in mind i really am new to all of this stuff) Is using CodeBlocks to learn C++ going to effect the way that i learn it? Is it going to be any different than any other Software I might use further down the line or maybe even in a career?

I have this big C++ for dummies book thats 7 books in one, and throughout the whole book it will be using CodeBlocks (it gave a disk) and i just want to make sure that the only reason it is suggesting it is because they favor it over others and not because it is going to stunt my learning process or be only applied to very specific ideas.

Sorry for the long posts, and sorry if i sounded ignorant or wrong at all. I am just excited and nervous to start my journey towards programming!

P.S Sorry if this is the wrong section for this!

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: How good is CodeBlocks?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 10:42:27 am »
C::B is mainly like every other c/c++ ide out there... It has not may vantages or disadvantages over the other. If you can work with one ide you can work also with a other WHEN you learn the build process behind the system. My personal opinion is that you should learn the basics of the build process before you start with a ide. But you can learn this also with the ide, by inspecting the full build log. So, do what ever is comfortable for you, but learn what is behind the whole thing and not be like "if i press this button my ide will make a program but i don't have no idea how this works"

greetings

Offline v0xeh

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 10:59:13 am »
C::B is mainly like every other c/c++ ide out there... It has not may vantages or disadvantages over the other. If you can work with one ide you can work also with a other WHEN you learn the build process behind the system. My personal opinion is that you should learn the basics of the build process before you start with a ide. But you can learn this also with the ide, by inspecting the full build log. So, do what ever is comfortable for you, but learn what is behind the whole thing and not be like "if i press this button my ide will make a program but i don't have no idea how this works"

greetings

Can you explain what you mean by the build process? are you talking about what goes on when it is compiled?

Thanks for your response by the way! Appreciate it.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:31:18 am »
exactly

GrizGrover

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 10:23:52 pm »
The C++ code that you enter when compiled only contains the machine code for those statements that you wrote.  The code that does the cin, cout and other stuff is in a library of code.  A linker needs to combine your machine code with the necessary library machine code.  It then needs to produce a load module from this machine code so Windows, OS-X or Linux can load your code into RAM for execution.  This process of compiling and linking your code is called building.

With over thirty years of teaching various flavors of FORTRAN, assembler, C and C++, I can tell you that using an IDE right off the bat is the best thing that you can do.  Doing compiles and linking at the command line brings nothing to the table to satisfy your want to learn to program a computer.  The IDE hides you from this detail and in the case of Code::Block allows you to debug those logical errors in your code.  Once you have gained confidence in you programming abilities, by all means investigate compiler options, linkers, librarians, version control, profilers and the like.  But don't get bogged down in code production issues before you need to.  :)

Offline windowsmaniac

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 12:26:53 pm »
Hi,

yes, CodeBlocks is more than good enough for a start in game development. Good luck and have fun with it!

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 04:13:25 am »
Is it better to use it on windows, linux or mac os ?

I would say Mac OS is the worst of the three by a long shoot.

Windows and Linux is very close; but, most of the Devs seem to be Linux so it might be the better choice.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Krice

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 05:33:13 pm »
My personal opinion is that you should learn the basics of the build process before you start with a ide.

Well, in C++'s case warning flags and other compiler settings are something you want to know, but wasn't IDE invented to get away with the whole build process in the first place? It is after all the biggest difference compared to a plain text editor and more "traditional" build process.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 10:35:14 pm »
My personal opinion is that you should learn the basics of the build process before you start with a ide.

Well, in C++'s case warning flags and other compiler settings are something you want to know, but wasn't IDE invented to get away with the whole build process in the first place? It is after all the biggest difference compared to a plain text editor and more "traditional" build process.

It is a poor workman whose does not understand their tools.

There are many people who think you should learn how to use the compiler on the command line before first using an IDE.

I think you need to at least know how to understand the build log in the CB IDE.

If you do not understand the difference between an warning and a error you need to learn it!

If you do not understand the difference between compiling and linking you need to learn it.

Tim S.

C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Krice

• Almost regular
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 07:32:32 am »
It is a poor workman whose does not understand their tools.

There are many people who think you should learn how to use the compiler on the command line before first using an IDE.

In this case the tool is the IDE, so why would you need to learn anything else than that? This goes with everything. If you are programming in C++, why would you need to know assembler? You don't need to know it. If you are making art with computer, you don't need to know how to paint with real brushes and oil paints. Etc. Not to say that it's bad to know the details, but it may be something you never need in your workflow.