Author Topic: Main program doesn't reflect wxsmith frame changes anymore  (Read 7027 times)

Offline freetype

• Multiple posting newcomer
Main program doesn't reflect wxsmith frame changes anymore
« on: December 18, 2013, 02:18:26 pm »
Hello, I'm facing a problem with Wxsmith:
I can make changes to mywxframe.wxs on a program I did some months ago, but they are not taken into account at compile time anymore. When I rebuild the main program, all the wx widgets remain as if there had been no change. What am I missing?

Thank you in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 02:19:58 pm by freetype »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Main program doesn't reflect wxsmith frame changes anymore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 02:38:22 pm »
Did you accidently remove some of the wxSmith-tags: //(* or //*) ?

Offline freetype

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 04:11:32 pm »
No, but now that I have reconfigured wxsmith for this project a nth time, the program builds but doesn't run anymore with the following error message:

Invalid XRC resource 'file:/usr/mke/devel/CodeBlocks/wxsmith/myWxFrame.wxs': doesn't have root node 'resource'.

A second problem. However I can still check that my new widgets aren't included in wxsmith's declarations in main program files and includes.

Offline freetype

Re: Main program doesn't reflect wxsmith frame changes anymore [SOLVED]
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 10:10:21 am »
Ok, as I had moved the project, myProject.cbp had to be edited manually, unfortunately this file does only handle paths relative to itself and ignores absolute ones. Lots of time spent for almost nothing.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Main program doesn't reflect wxsmith frame changes anymore [SOLVED]
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 07:28:53 am »
unfortunately this file does only handle paths relative to itself and ignores absolute ones. Lots of time spent for almost nothing.
That is definitely wrong.

Please provide a sample where this should be the case.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline freetype

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 10:26:29 am »
If this is wrong then it means that saving everything, rebuilding the project, closing and reopening it, reconfiguring wxsmith etc. - once the changes are made in myProject.cbp - as I've been trying to do a half day long, doesn't ensure Wxsmith or CodeBlocks or whatever, updates its links. There's something weird in the way this process is managed and no clues to get it done properly in the documentation. Sorry but I won't spend more time on this issue.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 10:47:55 am »
Sorry but I won't spend more time on this issue.
Well again: If you don't provide a way to reproduce we can't do anything for you.

What I can tell is that most of the UI in Code::Blocks is done in this way and we never ever had such issues like you. So I am truly guessing that something in the way you do / organise things is wrong. We just need to figure out what that is.

So either you are willing to help by providing more information or you are on your own, unfortunately.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline freetype

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 11:35:56 am »
As soon as I did put relative paths in my .cbp everything worked fine. I think I'm not the only one to have had this issue (see below) and I remember having faced it on another occasion before, without asking on fora, since at some point it vanished. That said, I'm keen to add that I find CodeBlocks is a priceless tool for development.

Best regards.

For example: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17521955/editing-codeblocks-wxsmiths-project/20653499

Offline freetype

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 12:06:37 pm »
A way to improve Wxsmith, would be to add a menu item somewhere, to force the new widgets settings made graphically to be reported to the corresponding program file, for as far as I can experiment (right now!), sometimes I have to close and reopen my main program file to see some new settings take effect (for example, if I change the width of a text box). I think this particularity is intimately linked to the problem discussed on this thread.

Offline Lowkus

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 04:35:07 am »
I'm having this problem now.  Changes to the wxSmith GUI do not get implemented in the compiled application.  Is there a solution?

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 11:35:30 am »
does the code change? are you using xrc files, or do you compile your dialog code directly?

what have you done before it stopped to work?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 09:33:43 pm »
I'm having this problem now.  Changes to the wxSmith GUI do not get implemented in the compiled application.  Is there a solution?

Please give the exact steps to reproduce the or provide a minimal sample which can be used to demonstrate and reproduce the problem.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]