Author Topic: [SOLVED] wxSmith Aligning Objects  (Read 6090 times)

dcbdbis

[SOLVED] wxSmith Aligning Objects
« on: November 24, 2013, 04:35:40 am »
Good Evening,

I am giving code::blocks a spin from Eclipse. Eclipse is too unwieldy for me, and I don't like that there is no native GUI builder for the CDT. It works....but code::blocks looks much more intuitive, and more integrated.

Using code::blocks 12.11 on Arch Linux.

I am writing a wxWidget app using C::B's built in wxSmith in Linux x64. My old out of date proprietary (Kylix) IDE/RAD had a feature where you could multi-select objects on the GUI designer, and then have the IDE align left, align middle, space evenly Horizontal, and space evenly verticle.

I've been through the tutorials and perused the forum, and done yahoo searches, and I can't find these features.

I have two questions:

a)    How do I select multiple widgets on my GUI designer?

b)    Is there any mechanism to align objects with each other? I.E. Having three input boxes of different sizes, and then aligning them all left, or right, etc. BTW: The layout sizers do not fit my needs for ad-hoc placement of window objects.

I will be very appreciative for any info, and/or pointers to how-to articles.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 07:00:46 pm by dcbdbis »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: wxSmith Aligning Objects
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 08:14:26 am »
You should become familiar with the sizer concept of wxWidgets.
See:
http://docs.wxwidgets.org/2.8.12/wx_sizeroverview.html#sizeroverview
and/or download the wxWidgets book:
http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/0131473816/downloads/0131473816_book.pdf
It's quite old, but the basic concept is still the same.

And for asking wxWidgets questions, this is the wrong forum, please do that in the wxWidgets forum:
http://forums.wxwidgets.org.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 03:30:07 pm »
a)    How do I select multiple widgets on my GUI designer?
I think this is not possible with wxSmith, unfortunately...

b)    Is there any mechanism to align objects with each other? I.E. Having three input boxes of different sizes, and then aligning them all left, or right, etc. BTW: The layout sizers do not fit my needs for ad-hoc placement of window objects.
Also here i have to disappoint you.. wxSmith has no native feature to do this. But as Jens told you, you can achieve this by using sizers...

greetings

dcbdbis

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 07:00:31 pm »
Thank you all for the reply.

I will have another read of the sizers link sent to me......It seems that I am mis-understaning the concept of the sizers....

Again,

THANKS!

Dave

dcbdbis

Re: [SOLVED] wxSmith Aligning Objects
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 09:20:45 pm »
Sizer comments:

The alignment with the wxGridBag sizer seems to meet my needs.

With the sizer you really don't need to be able to select multiple objects because the sizer's properties and the objects properties are the mechanism for handling all the alignment issues.

It's just a very different paradigm than I have been used to. It accomplishes the same things....just very differently.

I appreciate the posts, as I had indeed misunderstood the sizer info when I read it late last night.

THANKS!

Dave