Author Topic: WxSmith  (Read 8229 times)

Landslyde

WxSmith
« on: November 19, 2013, 03:09:00 am »
Code::Blocks 12.11            
I've downloaded Code Blocks w/WxSmith before, and this is the same problem I always run into:

On Windows 7, the error is:
C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\include\wx\platform.h|196|fatal error: wx/setup.h: No such file or directory

And sure enough, wx/setup.h is missing, although there are several setup header files in other dirs. I downloaded this from CodeBlocks.org, a self-installing .exe file. So I'm at a loss here as to why this file is missing.

On Linux Mint, the errors are:
fatal error: wx/wxprec.h: No such file or directory. (And a system-wide search shows this to be true)
fatal error: wx/app.h: No such file or directory.

Now this one IS a mystery. I found app.h, but there isn't even a wx directory.
The file is located in usr/share/codeblocks/templates/wizard/wxwidgets/common

I'm really wanting to see what Code::Blocks has to offer, but this is as far as I get every time I install it. But this time, I'm not just going to say screw it. I'd appreciate someone helping me out with this. I think a whole lot of people run into these same issues. And it's probably some small thing that I'm just not doing...although I haven't read anywhere where's there's extra tinkering required to get the repository installations kick-started.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. Code::Blocks looks like a nice tool...and I'm ready to see what's under the hood.

Landslyde
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 03:56:04 am by Landslyde »

Offline osdt

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: WxSmith
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 04:11:44 am »
On Windows 7, the error is:
C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\include\wx\platform.h|196|fatal error: wx/setup.h: No such file or directory
On Linux Mint, the error is:
fatal error: wx/app.h: No such file or directory.

There is no reason to blame C::B !!! AFAIK, C::B does not provide any binary wxwidgets downloads, so it is up to you to install wxwidgets properly.

On Windows, wx\setup.h should be in the directory 'C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\lib\gcc_dll\mswu' if wxwidgets is properly installed. Add this path to your Projects Compiler Searchpath.

On Linux you will have to install some wxwidgets-devel package, don't know how it is called on Mint.

- osdt

Landslyde

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 04:45:06 am »
There is no reason to blame C::B !!! AFAIK, C::B does not provide any binary wxwidgets downloads, so it is up to you to install wxwidgets properly.

The way you sling the exclamation marks around tells me you're both young and immature. As for Linux, you know very little, obviously. My Linux installation was much like the setup.exe for Windows, far from a binary install. It was also self-installing.

And concerning your comment on me blaming C::B, here are my words from my post:

And it's probably some small thing that I'm just not doing...

Looks to me like I assumed the blame. And one day maturity will slow you down enough to see such clearly written words. Maybe  :)

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 06:05:42 am »
osdt is right and you are wrong !
And you blame C::B for missing wxWidgets headers, that shows me you do are either young of years or of knowledge.
Please do not tell someone to read correctly, if you did not do it yourself (obviously).

Please notice the difference between wxSmith and wxWidgets !

The app.h file you found is part of C::B-sources (most likely) and not part of wxWigets's sources.

About installing and building wxWidgets on windows, please read:
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=WxWindowsQuickRef

Offline beqroson

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 05:08:18 pm »
Hey you guys,

stop slapping each other around so quickly. I think that this issue about the missing setup.h is the most irritating error in wxWidgets. The main reason to why this is designed like that, is that sometimes you will need multiple versions of setup.h, so adding it in the normal search paths cannot be done.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 07:30:39 pm »
Hey you guys,

stop slapping each other around so quickly. I think that this issue about the missing setup.h is the most irritating error in wxWidgets. The main reason to why this is designed like that, is that sometimes you will need multiple versions of setup.h, so adding it in the normal search paths cannot be done.

The main cause of the error for Windows Users is NOT building wxWidgets!

Tim S.

C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org