Author Topic: CodeBlocks hangs when accessing /opt but 64-bit only. 32-bit doesn't hang!  (Read 16510 times)

Offline pir

• Multiple posting newcomer
I have encountered a strange issue with Pasgui's 64-bit build hanging on 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

I have an SVN sandbox in a sub-directory on /opt with Access Files permissions set for the Others group. Regular users can open all the files without problem in a normal text editor. Logged in as a regular user, I can add a file from /opt to a CodeBlocks project but as soon as I try to open the source file in CodeBlocks, CodeBlocks hangs consuming 96-100% of the CPU. (A real hang - I left it for an hour and it was still hung!)

If I login and repeat as the 'admin' user (but not running anything as superuser), I have no problems.

When I checkout the same sandbox into a sub-directory in /home and add a file from there, no hangs.

Even more bizarrely, I have repeated all the above on 32-bit Ubuntu with an identical setup and although there is a noticeable pause when I open an /opt file in CodeBlocks as a regular user, I see no hang.

Anybody any ideas? The fact that CodeBlocks hangs rather than omitting an error message is worrying.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:54:42 pm by pir »

Online stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Try with Code Completion disabled.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline pir

I don't think the code completion plugin is responsible. I have had a problem with this before (see http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,17670.msg121058.html#msg121058). For the code completion hang, the System Monitor reports that the process is in an "Uninterruptible" state and "waiting_for_response.isra.5". The behavior I am observing is some form of infinite loop consuming ~100% of the CPU. Also, the code completion hang comes back after a minute or two; the hang I am reporting can only be cured by killing the Codeblocks process.

In addition, this hang seems connected with accessing files on /opt. Note: using the very same files from /home/... produces no problem.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Did you try it with codecompletion disabled, or is it just a guess ?

Offline pir

Did you try it with codecompletion disabled, or is it just a guess ?

It wasn't a guess. It was a reasoned argument based on i) the different characteristics of the hang and ii) the fact the at the problem is isolated to the /opt directory. That said, having tried disabling code completion, the code completion plugin does indeed appear to be responsible!

So how is it that code completion works with files from /home but hangs on files from /opt? I find this bizarre. I cannot even begin to imagine how this happens!

I think I saw somewhere that the code completion plugin is due for a rewrite. I wish that enterprise a fair wind!

UPDATE: I have since seen exactly the same hang on 32-bit Ubuntu 12.04 LTS... although I have another 32-bit machine right next to it which does not exhibit this hang problem! Doh!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:23:55 pm by pir »