Author Topic: new to code::blocks, some questions  (Read 7268 times)

Offline ronron24

• Single posting newcomer
new to code::blocks, some questions
« on: August 11, 2013, 08:04:44 pm »
I am working with code::blocks (12.11) for a few days. I am satisfied with it, but I have a few problems. Maybe there is some fix/workaround for it.

1. Sometimes it crashes when building the project (at least 1 or 2 times within 4 hours, means 20 - 30 builds). I am using custom makefiles. I can not reproduce this. It seems the probability for a crash is higher if I change the makefile.

2. I have split-ed the editor screen vertically to view 2 files at the same time. After closing and restarting the IDE the split is not active anymore. That is annoying. Couldn't find a option.

3. It seems code completion is not working for c++0x features, like strongly typed enumerations ?

4. I have copied my compiler toolchain to make a setup for MinGw64.  Assigning the new compiler in the project build options is no problem. Assigning/Using the original compiler is no problem too. But saving the latter corrupts the cbp file. After restarting a crash window pops up.
I have found a workaround for this. I have simply copied the compiler 2 times and don't use the original compiler in the build options.

So that are all problems I have encountered.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: new to code::blocks, some questions
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 08:19:11 pm »
2. This is a limitation of the actual wxAui, no workaround for that. Sorry !

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 09:37:04 pm »
3. Should be fixed in the nightlies
4. Can you try to reproduce this in the latest nightly and provide the steps to reproduce it.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline ronron24

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 10:53:22 pm »
I have installed the nightly.

3. not working:

Code
namespace Test1 {
    struct Test2 {
       enum class Test3 : unsigned {
          Test4
      };
   };
}

code completion ends after Test2

4. is working in nightly, thanks

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 10:59:15 pm »
For 3 can you try without the namespace?
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline ronron24

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 07:40:06 pm »
It also doesn't work without namespace.

Offline ronron24

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 08:55:32 pm »
a few questions for debugger.

1. when debugging the column size of the watcher tabs are very small. So each time I have to size them again and again. Is there a way the watcher remembers last layout setting?
2. moving the cursor above a variable shows some information. The value of the variable is visible after pressing + button. Is there a way to unfold this info without additional button press?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 10:34:25 pm »
1. when debugging the column size of the watcher tabs are very small. So each time I have to size them again and again. Is there a way the watcher remembers last layout setting?
This is a bug I can't reproduce reliably. Do you have an exact steps to reproduce it on a simple project?

2. moving the cursor above a variable shows some information. The value of the variable is visible after pressing + button. Is there a way to unfold this info without additional button press?
I'm not sure I understand what is your problem here. Please try to explain a bit better?

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 11:05:04 pm »
I'm not sure I understand what is your problem here. Please try to explain a bit better?

I think he's asking for a way to see the value of the variable without pressing '+' button, like automatically while hovering the mouse over it.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 11:16:30 pm »
I think he's asking for a way to see the value of the variable without pressing '+' button, like automatically while hovering the mouse over it.
I doubt, because the '+' is not used to show the value of the expression under the cursor. I guess that he wants the variables to be automatically expanded, but this is done automagically, too.

Offline ronron24

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 07:29:16 pm »
This is a bug I can't reproduce reliably. Do you have an exact steps to reproduce it on a simple project?

I have attached the watcher in the upper screen area horizontally. If I don't change the column size the 3 columns share the full screen size. If I change one column size and restart the debugger again, all 3 columns a very small at the left hand side. I have to restart the IDE to get the normal behavior.
There is no problem, if I don't change the column size. (means all 3 columns share the full size).
( Have tried with a simple "empty project" (non makefile based) consisting of int main() only  )

I have checked again. Simple data types like int show their values directly while hovering the mouse over it. But data types like std::string display an overlay with +_M_dataplus. Clicking the plus unfolds the value. I would prefer it to see the value without an additional button click.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 07:41:23 pm by ronron24 »

Offline ronron24

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 06:49:48 pm »
other topic

I use a custom makefile and I need a post build step. I have added:

$make -f $makefile install

It's not working but following works:

mingw32-make.exe -f $makefile install
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:54:13 pm by ronron24 »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 07:34:59 pm »
other topic

I use a custom makefile and I need a post build step. I have added:

$make -f $makefile install

It's not working but following works:

mingw32-make.exe -f $makefile install
Check the make-executable in the compiler-toolchain associated with the project.
The makefile itself is responsible for chosing the compiler, but C::B's macro-replacement is done with the settings from the toolchain.