Author Topic: C::B in VirtualBox on Linux - can't copy/paste to Windows  (Read 8439 times)

Offline jimfred

• Single posting newcomer
C::B in VirtualBox on Linux - can't copy/paste to Windows
« on: June 17, 2013, 05:36:00 pm »
I'm running C::B 12.11 on Linux in VirtualBox. I'm having troubles copying text to the VirtualBox Windows host. As a work-around, I copy from C::B into gedit and then into Windows. Since the clipboard from gedit (and other apps) to Windows works, it implies that it's not a VirtualBox problem. The problem might be text formatting and clipboarding through gedit might be converting the clipboard contents to plain text. Is there a work-around to copy plain text from C::B? I try pasting plain text but the problem persists. I also tried pasting into C::B on the Windows side but the problem persists.

ToApolytoXaos

Re: C::B in VirtualBox on Linux - can't copy/paste to Windows
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 07:57:03 pm »
Excuse me, but...what does it has to do with Code::Blocks? Your issue is obviously something that has to do with VirtualBox, not with Code::Blocks.

Do you have "Bidirectional" option enabled from your Guest window for sharing your clipboard? If not, there's your problem.

I'm sure though admins will lock this topic very soon (lol).

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 08:11:57 pm »
I'm sure though admins will lock this topic very soon (lol).
I'm not so sure...  ::)

@jimfred: One question: Does copy/paste works correctly in Scite or any editor using Scintilla?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline jimfred

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 11:43:57 pm »
Yes - I just tried SciTE and can copy from SciTE-on-Linux-on-VirtualBox to Windows.

I also tried copying from a textbox in a Open File dialog in C::B and that works! Also works copying from a C::B Properties dialog to Windows and that works.

So the problem seems to be isolated to C::B editor text. I tried a .txt file, without syntax hi-lighting, and the problem persists.

Regarding a previous question about "Bidirectional" - yes, it is turned on and works with other apps. I doubt I'd get any assistance from VirtualBox forums since the problem seems to be isolated to the C::B editor.

-Jim

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 12:18:01 am »
Morten: Do you know if this could be caused by our modifications in ScintillaWX::CopyToClipboard ?
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline jimfred

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 12:55:06 am »
I was intrigued that I could copy from some parts of C::B but not others, so here's more information...
Copy from Logs windows: OK
Copy from debugger Call Stack: OK
Copy from Watch window: OK
Copy from About dialog: Welcome to Code::Blocks 12.11! (OK)
Copy from Scripting console: Welcome to the script console! (OK)
Copy from Call stack: OK
Copy from Disassembly (Mixed Mode on or off): No

Copy from code editor doesn't work for different file types and different perspectives.

When the paste doesn't work, nothing gets pasted. A clipboard viewer on the Window's side shows the contents go blank when copying from C::B editor.

Frankly, this is a low priority for me, but the info might be useful.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 01:14:11 am »
Have you tried to copy from virtual to native C::B?  :P

Offline jimfred

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 10:43:01 am »
Yes - as mentioned in the original post,  I also tried pasting into C::B on the Windows side but the problem persists.
The Windows C::B is older (svn 8549, Nov 11 2012).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:48:22 am by jimfred »