Author Topic: Menu Icons are gone  (Read 43991 times)

Offline duncanka

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Menu Icons are gone
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2006, 04:45:51 am »
Maybe we can simplify the problem, just check if "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes" exists, if it does -> write it their, if not use "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT".
Anyone with win 95/98/Me/NT ? Can you check if the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes" exist ?
I have Windows 98SE, and the registry does indeed appear to have that path ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes"), but it doesn't seem to contain any of the usual file-extension definition entries.  I have no idea if it looks there for those.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2006, 08:42:00 am »
back to topic "Menu Icons are gone"
just noticed, that the actual SVN Windows build lacks the most of the menu icons compared to the linux version
see the screenshots
Hmmm... my Windows build looks just like your Linux screenshot..? Checked in all three releases on my hd. Sure you don't miss a few files?

EDIT: btw, what are those strange artefacts in the menu bar? I don't have these either...
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2006, 10:26:48 am »
... my Windows build looks just like your Linux screenshot..? Checked in all three releases on my hd. Sure you don't miss a few files?
svn says i'm synchron with the repository - no files missing or modified ... 
and i did a full rebuild of the complete CB workspace ...
but if i interpret the original poster of this thread right (before all those win registry crap came into here),
i'm not the only ony one who's concerned .
[edit] tried everything with edited and new .conf file etc...
and the .png files are all in their proper files where they should be...
i'm lost  :? :? :? :?

EDIT: btw, what are those strange artefacts in the menu bar? I don't have these either...
those are coming from an display update/redraw problem whenever another application was in front of CB
and then CB gets the focus again. for example a console-application, which is running from the ide and the
console window popped up somewhere in front of the toolbar-region of CB, when CB gets the focus again,
the toolbar is redrawn but a few pixels below the toolbar-icons are not restored. this happened since the wxaui
was introduced.
[edit] just found, that it only appears with small 16x16 toolbar icons.

greetings, Tiwag
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 10:52:45 am by tiwag »

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2006, 11:36:12 am »
it must have to do something with my local windows installation !

i've installed the nightly-build version CB SVN 1648 and the menus are looking exactly same as with my own built version. the most of the menu icons are missing !

any hints and suggestions where i can start investigating ?

@killerbot - you've started this thread - are you concerned of the same problem or is yours different ?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 11:39:05 am by tiwag »

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2006, 11:50:13 am »
I am still suffering from this problem.
These are my experiences :
 - build 1648 on linux (on my laptop) : OK
 - build 1648 on windows XP (my PC) : NOT OK
 - build 1648 on windows XP (my laptop) : NOT OK.

I should note that on my laptop (windows) untill 2 days ago everything was still ok, till that day it was running the last NON-UNICODE version. So maybe it has something to do with the unicode switch, but then again, maybe not.

Lieven

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2006, 11:59:23 am »
I am still suffering from this problem.
... maybe it has something to do with the unicode switch, but then again, maybe not.

@thomas & killerbot
did you test the nightly build, which is indeed an unicode build, on your system and check if the menu icons are ok ??
in order to verify if the same build behaves different on different windows installations .

thomas' unicode build shows all the menu icons if i interpret his posting correctly , do i ?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 12:06:49 pm by tiwag »

grv575

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2006, 12:38:06 pm »
tiwag: my windows binary looks the same as your windows screenshot.  - this is the CB_02jan2006_rev1648_win32 build.  A custom compile of a previous build - build 1610 windows unicode does not have this problem - it has all the icons the linux screenshot shows.  Tested both with the wx dll linked to on the codeblocks nightly release page and a wx dll build from source so that can be eliminated from being the problem.  Maybe the resources weren't packed correctly or ??? Does update.bat still need to be run after compiling on windows?

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2006, 12:39:45 pm »
yes run update.bat if you compile yourself, unless you run it from the devel dir

[EDIT] I stand corrected, stupid me. See below : next post.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 01:00:39 pm by killerbot »

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2006, 12:59:27 pm »
yes run update.bat if you compile yourself, unless you run it from the devel dir

You should run update.bat any time resources change, even if you 're using the devel dir (it might fail with programs but resources will be updated).
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2006, 01:01:09 pm »
...  Maybe the resources weren't packed correctly ...

i did run update.bat of course, and i checked also the "src\output\share\CodeBlocks\resources.zip"
- as i can determine all is looking ok, all xrc's and png's are in there as they should.
i also did run codeblocks under filemonitor observation and have nothing suspicious detected.

i'm staill waiting for a report, that the actual nightly build version shows all menu icons correctly,
if not i assume a general unicode build issue ...

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2006, 01:03:53 pm »
let's hope 'THE almighty" shines some light on this soon.

But .......  be patient ....    8)

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2006, 01:07:48 pm »
...  be patient ...

i'm the patience in person ... didn't you know of ?     :lol:

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2006, 02:39:40 pm »
Just rebuilt to be 100% I am not talking of an old or non-Unicode version or anything, but it really looks fine:

Did you change any of Windows' user interface settings (like menu item font/size)? You do not happen to carry around a bad wxWidgets dll in your path somewhere (one that cannot read the png images)?
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2006, 02:45:09 pm »
I can see some icons, but for example in the build menu : all are gone.
In the file menu, I do have print, and run script icon, others gone.

Nopre ,no other dll, renamed the one I think I am using and CB complains that there's no wx dll, so it should be that one.

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2006, 02:50:43 pm »
@thomas - did you notice in my posts, that i tested ALSO with the nightly build version in order to invalidate
all errors which could be happened in my build-flow ??!!
so the answer to all your questions is NO !

also i do not use any quirky settings regarding the font size or anything else in my windoze - just let it be all at windows defaults...

i'm lost ... no more ideas where to look for this bug  :x