Author Topic: Visual C++ 2010 + Windows SDK toolchain cannot be set  (Read 6097 times)

Offline onesteplower

• Multiple posting newcomer
Visual C++ 2010 + Windows SDK toolchain cannot be set
« on: May 10, 2013, 08:06:44 am »
When I set the path to one tool, it changes the directory for every other tool to that path.  So, as soon as I set the path for the next tool, Code::Blocks changes the path to the former tool so that it's incorrect.  This happens even if I add all paths under the "additional paths" tab.  Will these programs work if I just copy them all to the same folder as a workaround?

edit: I should mention that I'm still learning.  After a break from coding and thinking it over, Code Blocks was the most comfortable IDE I used while studying before.  Step one has to be to understand compilers, linkers, and tools a bit better so the start of that is at least setting up however many I can grab.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:50:42 am by onesteplower »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Visual C++ 2010 + Windows SDK toolchain cannot be set
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 09:21:52 am »
Please describe, what and where are you entering, so we can help you.
Your current description is something like: "I entered some paths and it didn't worked, help me"
We have deficit of magic balls, so you'll have to try harder :)
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline onesteplower

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 10:24:51 am »
lmao  Yeah, I guess that is kind of vague.

Here's what I want the paths to be, if I'm trying to do this correctly:

C Compiler: D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin\cl.exe
C++ Compiler: D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin\cl.exe
Link for Dynamic Libs: D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin\link.exe
Link for Static Libs: D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin\link.exe
Resource Compiler: D:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Bin\RC.exe
Make Program: D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin\nmake.exe

So, I have two directories, D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin\ and D:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Bin\.

Auto-detect sets the compiler path to D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC, but with the Microsoft SDKs path set appropriately for RC.exe, CB seems to change the working directory to check for the other tools to that path as well, even with it typed into the "additional directories" field.  

The underlying problem that I'm trying to solve is a simple "Hello World" console program will not run unless I start the debugger.  edit: And in fact, the executable is not made, even with CB run as an administrator.  I suspect the libraries are correct since it runs under the debugger, which is what made me suspect the toolchain.  This is not installed to the default "Program Files", as my OS runs on a SSD.  Only vital stuff is on the system drive.

Here's the code for that.

\\ main.cpp

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
    std::cout << "Hello world!" << "\n";
    int waiter;
    std::cin >> waiter;
    return 0;
}

I figured that I must have my tools set up incorrectly.  My idea that the working directory checked for each tool changes comes from what happens when I click the browse button.  I'd expect it to show the path currently used for the file, but it shows the last path I browsed to.  I may be misinterpreting that, come to think of it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:30:42 am by onesteplower »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 10:44:13 am »
Have you looked at the full build log?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline onesteplower

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 11:20:45 am »
Have you looked at the full build log?

slapping my forehead

Why did I pick the time immediately after wisdom tooth extraction to start back up?  Hydrocodone must not be conducive to perception.  I've been ignoring the blue text!  ...and trying to figure out what's wrong with my Visual C++ compiler while trying to use GCC that isn't installed.  I'm an idiot.

Thank you for helping me to help myself.  Well...  On the bright side, I know where everything in the toolchain is now.

edit: And it works when I use the compiler I've actually installed!  Imagine that.  Just... wow.  Sorry :/
edit2: On the other bright side, first time I've been stoned in years and first thing I want is to code.  Maybe it is time to get back to it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:25:50 am by onesteplower »