Author Topic: Getting a separate window for editing  (Read 10011 times)

Offline von.hake

• Multiple posting newcomer
Getting a separate window for editing
« on: April 10, 2013, 05:39:39 pm »
Hi,
I'm sorry for a possible duplicate but I didn't find the answer.

All I want to do is to get two different source files opened simultaneously  for editing in different windows. I've tried  'Split view', but it works only for the same source file, and splitting is done in the same window/tab.
I'd like to have a separate window for it would be comfortable for me to put it full screen on another monitor. Is that possible on C::B 12.11 ?

Thank you.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Getting a separate window for editing
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 06:00:07 pm »
I'd like to have a separate window for it would be comfortable for me to put it full screen on another monitor. Is that possible on C::B 12.11 ?
Just drag and drop editor windows as you like from the editor's tab, including fully detachted editor windows.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline von.hake

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 06:30:58 pm »
uh. It seems that you suggest opening several editor windows somehow, but I have only one editor window, with many tabs; I tried dragging and dropping tabs but it doesn't work - it just changes the tab order inside of what you probably call editor window, but I can't detach them. I didn't figure out how to detach the editor window, or how to open another editor window. If you mean that I should run another instance of C::B, it is not working out, it seems that only one instance of the environment is allowed to work. I use C::B under debian linux, in case that matters.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 06:42:15 pm »
Do you need this to work on dual monitors?
Currently you can have file windows placed side by side in the main windows, but could not separate them (wxAUI limitation).
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 07:53:46 pm »
You need to have more than one file open and drag one of the tabs to one of the four edges of the editing pane. Before you release the mouse button you should see half of the pane light up. After you release the mouse button, the editing pane will split to show multiple pages.

Offline von.hake

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 08:48:02 am »
@dmoore, thanks a lot, that worked for me!
@oBFusCATed, yes, I want this to work on two monitors, but it's fine, I'm ok to have  one same window, I just place the separation bar at the border line of two screens.

An interesting observation though: after performing the suggested manipulations with tabs  the "Close tab"   button  (the X button) totally stopped working : ). Restarting the app didn't help, changing perspectives didn't help, I'm not sure how to get it back functioning. but fortunately Ctrl+W still works, so I can survive. Do you guys have any ideas why that happened and how to get it back to work ?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 09:38:15 am »
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline von.hake

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 01:27:33 pm »
Oh I see... are there any workarounds regarding that so far?