Author Topic: CodeBlocks stays active in memory after closing GUI  (Read 16517 times)

Offline pat32

• Single posting newcomer
CodeBlocks stays active in memory after closing GUI
« on: February 01, 2013, 04:45:38 pm »
Hello,

I am using OpenSuse 12.2 64bit  and I have installed CodeBlocks 12.11 from the OpenSuse repositories.
When I launch CB, it runs OK. However, when I exit CB and try to launch it again, it does not start anymore.
Checking the active processes confirms that CB still remains in mem. even after I closed the window.

I have tried to start CB from the terminal and I get this (as part of the output):

(codeblocks:5261): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `<invalid>' in cast to `GtkRadioMenuItem'

(codeblocks:5261): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_radio_menu_item_get_group: assertion `GTK_IS_RADIO_MENU_ITEM (radio_menu_item)' failed

(codeblocks:5261): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `<invalid>' in cast to `GtkRadioMenuItem'

(codeblocks:5261): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_radio_menu_item_get_group: assertion `GTK_IS_RADIO_MENU_ITEM (radio_menu_item)' failed
Loading toolbar...
Failed to connect to socket /tmp/fam-<my username>-
Initializing plugins...

On closing the GUI, I get this :

Deinitializing plugins...

(codeblocks:5261): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `(null)' in cast to `GtkRadioMenuItem'

(codeblocks:5261): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `(null)' in cast to `GtkRadioMenuItem'

Aborted

Could someone please help me regarding this issue?
Thanks

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: CodeBlocks stays active in memory after closing GUI
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 06:29:02 pm »
These are not critical or at least work here correctly.

Can you try to debug codeblocks with gdb for example? To see where does it crashes.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 06:41:17 pm »
try this by launching CB from a terminal shell : "codeblocks"
does the problem occur then ?

Offline pat32

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 06:50:33 pm »
@oBFusCATed : The thing is that I have not built CB from source and so I can't debug
@killerbot : Yes the problem still happens when I run from the terminal shell. The code I pasted is the output when I do so.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 06:57:24 pm »
You can install debug-packages (if they exist in the repo you use).

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 07:10:07 pm »
You can get half useful backtrace even on release builds. But Jens is correct install the debug/dbg packages.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline pat32

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 07:29:36 pm »
Sorry, correction : I actually downloaded and installed the rpm from the CB website not from the opensuse repo. (I actually have this problem since a few months)
I think maybe in that case I will have to build CB from source. I am a bit puzzled however about why this problem happens.

Offline Akio

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 07:22:15 am »
Hi, pat32, I'm relative new to this forum, therefore this late reply to your post.

I ran into the same problem like you. What I was wondering about was the fact that OpenSuSE was the only Linux OS this issue appeared.
After a long time of searching the web I found out that I had to install that "gamin-server" package for CB to run properly. After doing so everything seems to be OK now.

I'd suggest that you'd give it a try.
Please let me know if this works for you.

Regards

Offline demone

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 06:53:14 pm »
the same problem cause me several bluescreens. Fixed by disabling the antivirus. The C::B was not terminated and when shutting down the computer wrongly recognize the c::b process as system process though causing blue screen because the OS was aborting that process for shutting down.

The blue screen is a my specific problem (I'm the only user with that problem XD) but the process not terminated have still to be fixed.

Just to be curious wich antivirus do you have?
processor: Intel Core 2 Quad.
ram: 4 GB
gfx card: Ati Radeon HD 5570

Offline briselec

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 09:40:30 am »
I recently built codeblocks 12.11 release 8629 on Slackware and was having the same problem with the same messages showing in the terminal. I found disabling the code completion plugin stopped it from happening.