Author Topic: Feature requests  (Read 11576 times)

Skinney

Feature requests
« on: December 21, 2005, 03:52:38 pm »
Hi...
First off all, C::B is a great IDE... there are some things that bugs me though that i would really like getting into the IDE...

1. Being able to compile a file even though it is not included into a project. Lets say i create a new file and save it as a .cpp... C::B does not allow me to use the "run&compile, compile, run, debug" buttons etc. This would REALLY be appricieated as i hate compiling the program and then head into the directory and run it manually... *shudders*
2. Being able to scroll further down the script even though there are no more lines. its uncomfterble to read script at the buttom of the screen, much better to be able to center it on the screen :-)
3. Whenever you minimize a function there comes this big ugly(IMHO) blac line to indicate that the function has been minimized, there should be an option to display this line or not.
4. Having the option to display the 'Start Here' screen or not at startup
5. Being able to close tabs/opened files with a right click and close would be highly appriciated!
6. When a file is saved or compiled there are alot of extra files that is made, like the .o file... Is it really necesarry to create these files and could they be saved someplace else? I've just moved from Dev-cpp and find these extra files anyoing...  :?
7. Also, an auto completion feature that would automaticly make the last ), } would be cool, maybe not really necesarry but cool all the same(the C-script editor for 3dgs has this and I've grown accostumed to it...)

I'm aware that some of this features might have been posted before and i apologize if it bothers anyone  :P
Anyway, keep going guys, you're doing a tremendous job!  :D

*Modefied: point 6. and 7.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 04:03:50 pm by Skinney »

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
Re: Feature requests
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 04:17:41 pm »
4. Settings -> Environment, View, "Show 'Start Here' Page"
6. This is the standard detritus of a compilation. MSVC creates .obj files; GCC creates .o files. You can choose where to place them on a per-project basis with Project -> Properties, Targets, "Objects output dir".

Everything else is an "as-yet-unimplemented feature".

Cheers,
Twilight Dragon
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 04:27:06 pm »
Are you using RC2 by any chance? several of these have already been implemented in SVN.

1. Being able to compile a file even though it is not included into a project. Lets say i create a new file and save it as a .cpp... C::B does not allow me to use the "run&compile, compile, run, debug" buttons etc. This would REALLY be appricieated as i hate compiling the program and then head into the directory and run it manually... *shudders*
Ctrl-Shift-F9 or Build -> Compile current file. Can't find an option to run or debug it though.

4. Having the option to display the 'Start Here' screen or not at startup
Settings -> Environment -> Views -> third checkbox from the bottom.

5. Being able to close tabs/opened files with a right click and close would be highly appriciated!
Right-click tab -> Close.

6. When a file is saved or compiled there are alot of extra files that is made, like the .o file... Is it really necesarry to create these files and could they be saved someplace else? I've just moved from Dev-cpp and find these extra files anyoing...  :?
If you're using a project, these files are neatly tucked away in the .objs directory in the same directory as the project file. Still puts .cbCache, .depend and .layout files next to the project file though. Precompiled headers (.pch, gcc only) have an option where to put them in the project settings (though I'm not sure if putting it in the .objs dir works properly now or not, haven't tried lately).

SVN binaries (for Windows) are available from Therion (current latest revision) and and from Ceniza (somewhat out of date, dec. 1st).
You can also compile from CVS yourself, but that's a bit more complicated. You'll still need one of the above builds if you're on Windows, though. The project file uses features not available in RC2.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 11:25:35 am by Urxae »

Skinney

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 04:58:19 pm »
ok, thanks :-)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 05:12:20 am »
Urxae: the "from Ceniza" link points nowhere :)

Hadn't noticed how old it was my last build: 3 weeks! Gonna release another one in a few minutes then :)

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 11:26:14 am »
Urxae: the "from Ceniza" link points nowhere :)
Oops, sorry. Fixed now.

Hadn't noticed how old it was my last build: 3 weeks! Gonna release another one in a few minutes then :)
I was a bit surprised at that too.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 12:24:16 pm »
6. This is the standard detritus of a compilation.

Hmmm, I will not call it detritus... :roll:

Michael

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 03:22:02 pm »
de·tri·tus
n. pl. detritus
1.  Loose fragments or grains that have been worn away from rock.
2.    a.  Disintegrated or eroded matter: the detritus of past civilizations.
       b.  Accumulated material; debris: “Poems, engravings, press releaseshe eagerly scrutinizes the detritus of fame” (Carlin Romano).

If you want to argue semantics, I can do it all day long...but since English isn't your native language, please don't. :)
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 03:47:09 pm »
2. b) Indeed, a gabbl... erm... book critic working for a some insignificant newspaper in Philadelphia is a very authorative source for a word's meaning, especially in English.  :lol:
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 04:06:39 pm »
I think it's supposed to be an example of usage rather than the source of the definition; anyway, it's straight from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition, so it can't be wrong, right? ;)

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 04:32:30 pm »
Neither my copy of the Encyclopedia Britannica, nor their web page (which uses Merriam-Webster's database) contains a similar reference. However, the thesaurus explicitely refers to "debris".

Not that these sophistries matter at all, I simply found this comment a bit misplaced, maybe you missed that...
since English isn't your native language, please don't. :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 08:20:22 pm »
de·tri·tus
n. pl. detritus
1.  Loose fragments or grains that have been worn away from rock.
2.    a.  Disintegrated or eroded matter: the detritus of past civilizations.
       b.  Accumulated material; debris: “Poems, engravings, press releaseshe eagerly scrutinizes the detritus of fame” (Carlin Romano).

Hmmm. Thank you for the definition :), but I still persist in believing that IMHO detritus is not a well chosen term.

If you want to argue semantics, I can do it all day long...but since English isn't your native language, please don't. :)

One day longue arguing semantics....hmmm....tempting... :).

English is not my native language, that's right, but I know english native speaking people to asking for and there is always internet to search for :D.

But ok. Preferences are preferences :D.

Michael
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 08:29:54 pm by Michael »

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 11:33:27 pm »
The comment thomas referenced was intended to convey, if covertly, the fact that a person who, as a non-native English speaker, makes more usage and grammar mistakes than myself doesn't have a basis on which to correct my grammar or usage. "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

Looks like we've done a wonderful job of derailing the thread and possibly creating some misconceptions of each other. I'm going to get back to coding.