Author Topic: Release 12.11 has arrived  (Read 142239 times)

Offline pitti platsch

• Single posting newcomer
    • Notepad++ MenuSearch Plugin
Re: Release 12.11 has arrived
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2013, 09:42:53 pm »
1- Watches window: no more a list of variable of the current function: well, I deal with some quite big functions with over 50 variables. To deal with so much, I've functions that modify a lot of them in the same time but as I don't want to read the whole function, with the old system, I'd to watch on what become red after the function, now, I'll have to add _every variable_ to the window, manually... Please, tell me there is a way to get them all easily, the new system seems to have a lot of things to show but without this, I can't do anything :(

Hi,
if you use a recent Python-scriptable GDB (see http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,11301.0.html), you can register a pretty printer by calling the register_peter_printers(None) from the following code which I just hacked together. Then add a watch to `(void*****)"FRAME"` and you see all local variables and function arguments.
Code
import sys
import gdb
import re

class static:
    "Creates a 'static' method"
    def __init__(self, function):
        self.__call__ = function

peter_pretty_printers = []
def register_pretty_printer(pretty_printer):
    "Registers a Pretty Printer"
    peter_pretty_printers.append(pretty_printer)
    return pretty_printer

@register_pretty_printer
class AllLocalsOrArgumentsPrinter:
    """ pretty prints `(void*****)"LOCALS"` as a map of all local variables
        or `(void*****)"ARGS"` as a map of all function arguments
        or `(void*****)"FRAME"` as both
    """

@static
    def supports_value(val):
        if val.type != gdb.parse_and_eval("(void*****)0").type:
            return False

try:
            return val.cast(gdb.lookup_type('char').pointer()).string() in ['LOCALS', 'ARGS', 'FRAME']
        except:
            return False

def __init__(self, val):
        self.cmd = val.cast(gdb.lookup_type('char').pointer()).string()

@static
    def info_to_string(gdb_command):
        result = gdb.execute(gdb_command, to_string=True).strip()
        if result in ['No locals.', 'No arguments.']:
            return '{}'
        # make unique
        split_result = re.split(r'^([a-zA-Z_][a-zA-Z0-9_]*) = ', result, flags=re.MULTILINE)
        split_result.remove('')
        tuples = [(split_result[2*i], split_result[2*i+1].strip('\n')) for i in range(len(split_result)/2)]
        tuples.reverse()
        result = ''.join([',\n' + k + ' = ' + v for (k,v) in dict(tuples).iteritems()]).lstrip(',')
        return '{' + result + '\n}'

def to_string(self):
        if self.cmd == 'LOCALS':
            return AllLocalsOrArgumentsPrinter.info_to_string('info local')
        if self.cmd == 'ARGS':
            return AllLocalsOrArgumentsPrinter.info_to_string('info arg')
        if self.cmd == 'FRAME':
            locals = AllLocalsOrArgumentsPrinter.info_to_string('info local')
            args   = AllLocalsOrArgumentsPrinter.info_to_string('info arg')
            return '{\nLocal Variables = ' + locals + ',\nFunction Arguments = ' + args + '\n}'
        return '?'

def register_peter_printers(obj):
    if obj == None:
        obj = gdb

obj.pretty_printers.append(lookup_function)

def lookup_function(val):
    for pp in peter_pretty_printers:
        if pp.supports_value(val):
            return pp(val)
    return None

cheers,
Peter
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:57:13 pm by pitti platsch »
Work with Notepad++? Then you might like my NppMenuSearch plugin: http://sourceforge.net/projects/nppmenusearch/

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2013, 08:17:43 am »
pitti platsch, I see you wrap the gdb command in a "dummy variable in python" :). Please note that why we remove such feature in the debugger plugin. In my gdb release: unofficial MinGW GDB gdb with python released, I use a special patch that compare the current instruction line(Program counter) with the line of a local variable definition, this can void the python script print the uninitialzed local variables.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline pitti platsch

« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2013, 01:43:06 pm »
@ollydbg: Yes, my pretty printer works best (or only  ;D) with your patched gdb. If I knew a way to iterate all symbols of a frame in python, I would not just call "info local".

But in my opinion, gdb pretty printers must be able to deal with arbitrary/corrupt data.
If a pretty printer crashes/turns into an infinite loop/takes too long to complete when handed some arbitrary bytes, then that pretty printer is buggy and needs to be fixed or disabled:
One of the main points in debugging is to inspect data corruption bugs.
Work with Notepad++? Then you might like my NppMenuSearch plugin: http://sourceforge.net/projects/nppmenusearch/

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2013, 02:40:44 pm »
@ollydbg: Yes, my pretty printer works best (or only  ;D) with your patched gdb.
Did you test some uninitialzed C++ container as local variables. E.g.
Code
void f()
{
    int a;
    vector<string> b;
    ....Some statement;
    map<string,string> c;
}
If you set a breakpoint in the first line of "f", then "b" and "c" are uninitialized variables, they will cause the python pretty printer try to print a large number of elements. Sometimes, it will take a long time, sometime, gdb may crash. Currently no good way to detect a variable is initialized or not. If not, it may have some corrupt values, as the constructor of the container is not called, mayb, the size of the container may be a large value.

If I knew a way to iterate all symbols of a frame in python, I would not just call "info local".
But in my opinion, gdb pretty printers must be able to deal with arbitrary/corrupt data.
If a pretty printer crashes/turns into an infinite loop/takes too long to complete when handed some arbitrary bytes, then that pretty printer is buggy and needs to be fixed or disabled:
One of the main points in debugging is to inspect data corruption bugs.
I have asked such question in gdb maillist, but it looks like there is no quick solution/fix to handle this issue. Mostly I think the c-runtime-library should fill the memory with some value like "0xCDCDCDCD", and gdb try to exam its value when it want to deference a pointer.....:)
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).

Offline pitti platsch

« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2013, 03:09:22 pm »
With your patched gdb, the variables b and c are not listed in "info local" until I hit there declaration lines. And directly adding a watch to b displays as `No symbol "b" in current context.` when I just enter the function.

You are right that there is no nice simple solution yet. My `(void*****)"LOCALS"` python code is just an ugly hack for those who missed the feature and/or do plain C programming without many other fancy pretty printers. It was the only regression that stopped me from upgrading until I learned python. But now I already fell in love with the 'Evaluate expression' tooltips :)

Apart from that, it would be nice to have a checkbox next to each entry in the Watches window to temporarily enable/disable the watch.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2013, 03:34:11 pm »
With your patched gdb, the variables b and c are not listed in "info local" until I hit there declaration lines. And directly adding a watch to b displays as `No symbol "b" in current context.` when I just enter the function.

You are right that there is no nice simple solution yet.
For my patched gdb, I just filter out the local variables those definition line is bigger than the PC line. :), This is what my patch trying to do(do a dirty work to avoid crash/lag issue). If you use an unpatched gdb(like the gdb-python27.exe) from mingw official site, you may see the lag or crash issue.

My `(void*****)"LOCALS"` python code is just an ugly hack for those who missed the feature and/or do plain C programming without many other fancy pretty printers. It was the only regression that stopped me from upgrading until I learned python. But now I already fell in love with the 'Evaluate expression' tooltips :)

Apart from that, it would be nice to have a checkbox next to each entry in the Watches window to temporarily enable/disable the watch.
You can ask "oBFusCATed" to implement this, he/she is the debugger plugin guru. Or, you can implement yourself, and post a patch here.  ;D

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2013, 03:35:51 pm »
I don't think it is possible to have checkboxes there, but it can be put in the context menu.
I'll see if I can add it, when I'm back at improving the debugger:)
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline ixfd64

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Facebook
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2013, 06:31:17 pm »
Finally we managed to release Code::Blocks 12.11 !

You can download binaries for windows, mac and many major linux distros from our download page

Many thanks to all the contributors and developers who worked hard for this!

I haven't been on this forum in a while, but this is great news. W00t!

austin2393

« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2013, 03:41:36 am »
Can anyone help me? I am a newbie in programming and there is a bug in code::block, I don't know how to fix it.
A simply addition program has an error. The sum is not appropriate to the the numbers. How can I fix this bugs/errors ? Please help me.
Thank you

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2013, 03:42:48 am »
Can anyone help me? I am a newbie in programming and there is a bug in code::block, I don't know how to fix it.
A simply addition program has an error. The sum is not appropriate to the the numbers. How can I fix this bugs/errors ? Please help me.
Thank you

Please read the rules. http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,9996.0.html
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline diamant

« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2013, 03:55:42 pm »
FYI, Ubuntu 12.04 update managers (both the default one and Synaptic) with default settings do not find this version 12! They only see 10.05.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:58:20 pm by diamant »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2013, 04:57:10 pm »
We cannot do anything about it. Go bug Ubuntu maintainers to add this package to this version of Ubuntu it is theirs job to do it.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline diamant

« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2013, 04:07:57 pm »
We cannot do anything about it. Go bug Ubuntu maintainers to add this package to this version of Ubuntu it is theirs job to do it.
As I was told at http://askubuntu.com/questions/365158/12-04-lts-update-managers-do-not-see-latest-codeblocks, this is a feature of Ubuntu support indeed - limited update capabilities.
Perhaps Code::Block team could kindly convince Ubuntu maintainers to allow users to update to newer versions, a kind of promotion activity of C::B; but that's probably just my a bit silly fantasy.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2013, 06:24:55 pm »