Author Topic: wxSmith and it's amazing improvement!  (Read 16118 times)

takeshimiya

wxSmith and it's amazing improvement!
« on: December 21, 2005, 08:40:45 am »
I'm amazed at the improvement rate of wxSmith! :D

So much, that I wanted to know how it compares to other products out there, even commercial ones.

I've compared the supported features and widgets of 5 RADs here in the WiKi: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Comparison_of_wxSmith_features

It is great to know that currently wxSmith support more widgets than let's say wxDesigner, which cost $129 and is made by Robert Roembling, one of the core wxWidgets devs. :)

I've compared other features such as Validators, Conditional UI, Event table and handler generation, Bitmaps support, English descriptions, Easy access to windows pointers, Template controls.

The RADs I've compared are: wxSmith, DialogBlocks, wxDesigner, wxFormBuilder, and VisualWx.

All in all, I'm impressed. Thanks byo and cyberkoa! Keep the good smith! :D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 08:52:22 am by Takeshi Miya »

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
Re: wxSmith and it's amazing improvement!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 08:44:24 am »
i second !!!! - amazing - i like using wxsmith.

thx

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 09:02:13 am »
Nice job Takeshi Miya. I didn't check it thoroughly but have you double-checked it for errors (quite a lot 'yes'-'no' there ;)).
For example, in "Easy access to window pointers" you give wxSmith a 'no' when it clearly supports it (unless I understood it wrong). Is this correct?
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

takeshimiya

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 09:13:41 am »
Yes, you're right, I had doubts about Event table and handler generation and Easy access to windows pointers. Corrected now.

But as for other features and all the widgets, I'm almost sure they're right.

After all, that's why I put it in the WiKi, so others can correct or add any info :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 09:18:42 am by Takeshi Miya »

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 12:31:46 pm »
Good job, really :). And very interesting. I was searching for such a tool (as Qt Designer), but to be used with wxWidgets. I did found some of the RADs you have listen, but was not so convinced. I have also played with wxSmith which I found interesting and was improving faster. Now it is my first option :).

Michael

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
However, there's some bugs to clean up...
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 05:30:03 pm »
Try editing (latest SVN) codeblocks' XRC files by double-clicking on them from the project tree. wxSmith opens them, but I get that nasty "no handler defined for this type of file" noisy error. Then, the dialogs stretch so much horizontally that a scrollbar appears in the editor. Then some of the notebook dialogs looked screwed up, and then I got a sefault :(

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 07:08:50 pm »
The loading of xrc files is not perfect. That is already said many times... :( I hope this wil changed soon...
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

takeshimiya

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 09:55:33 pm »
True, but anyways, the "No handler defined..." is a Code::Blocks bug I think.

Just add any file non registered in C::B to any project.
Then do a double click on it.
Then press Cancel.
Scorpion wins! :)

EDIT: I'm hijacking my own thread :lol:
Let's get back to wxSmith here.

Offline squizzz

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 11:36:42 pm »
@Takeshi Miya - what is Non-sizer design? Is it freehand widgets positioning maybe? If that's the case, wxSmith supports it (true if done outside the sizer, otherwise would make no sense, of course if I get the idea of sizers right).

Great comparison, by the way. :)
this space is for rent

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 11:52:27 pm »
Thx for this comparision.
It clearly shows me what I should add :D

And sorry for all XRC incompatibilities. I haven't had time to investigate it better :oops:

Ok, wxGridBagSizer is missing in class list.
And wxSmith supports non-sizer design (but it may be little bit hard because can not resize main window) - just do not add sizer but components.

And what's "XRC code loading" ?

Thx for such big notes :)

And could this be moved to RAD plugins development ?It would be easier to find :)

takeshimiya

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 12:13:29 am »
Thx for this comparision.
It clearly shows me what I should add :D
Yes, I made primarily to know what is missing/what is there. :)

And sorry for all XRC incompatibilities. I haven't had time to investigate it better :oops:
No problem. Just take care of this feature because interop between RADs is the first thing users try.

Ok, wxGridBagSizer is missing in class list.
Added. It's not supported yet in wxSmith or I missed it?

And wxSmith supports non-sizer design (but it may be little bit hard because can not resize main window) - just do not add sizer but components.
Yes, and I'm surprised! I didn't knew. I thought it doesn't supported because the message "This item contains sizer. Please add new items into this sizer." But yes, it supports Non-sizer design!
Altrough, users that come from other environments are very used to "Non-sizer design", they expect to have a grid, and "can't" do without a grid.
So I will give a Partial value.

And what's "XRC code loading" ?
XRC code loading is the opposite of Warning: When adding resource in Xrc mode, this resource must be manually loaded.
A proper name would be XRC code auto-loading.

Thx for such big notes :)
:D

And could this be moved to RAD plugins development ?It would be easier to find :)
Yes, and remember, it's a Wiki, feel free to do whatever anyone considers right (or if you're in doubt, post here or in the "discussion" Wiki tab).

EDIT: ups, you were talking about the forum :oops:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 12:16:12 am by Takeshi Miya »

lewix

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 04:43:31 pm »
"Hello world",
good job, wxsmith very good, i want to try it  :P
But... where can i download it from? I can't see any links, i have to recompile the entire codeblocks projects to include on it!?

Thanx if someone can help me

Lewix

sethjackson

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 06:24:01 pm »
"Hello world",
good job, wxsmith very good, i want to try it  :P
But... where can i download it from? I can't see any links, i have to recompile the entire codeblocks projects to include on it!?

Thanx if someone can help me

Lewix

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/codeblocks/codeblocks-1.0rc2_mingw.exe?download

Download the installer and install everything EXCEPT the SVN plugin. :)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 06:42:01 pm »
Well, if you really wanna see all the improvements I suggest you to get a SVN binary snapshot :)

lewix

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2005, 10:34:34 am »
Many thanx!
I had alreay installed CodeBlocks 1.0rc2, but i had missed to include wxsmith plugin during the installation.

No problem about SVN, i can wait, now i'm using TortoiseSVN :)

Lewix