Author Topic: Pelles C versus Code::Blocks  (Read 6588 times)

Offline equation

• Single posting newcomer
Pelles C versus Code::Blocks
« on: October 18, 2012, 03:43:37 am »
Hi Members,

I am new to programming.  I have decided to learn the C language and then C++. My primary focus at this point is C.

I would like to utilize an IDE. I have a small bit of experience in C programming as I have worked through some tutorials in the past. I have chosen two IDE's that have very good support. They are Pelles C and Code::Blocks.

Pelles C is a lite download. Only about 10 MB or so and has a good forum. Code::Blocks is a 70 MB download and has C++ as well and an oustanding forum. It also has availability for GUI programming in C++.

I'm primarily using a web site called www.cprogramming.com as a learning source as they offer many tutorials. They recommend Code::Blocks as a their IDE but I'm sure Pelles C would work as well.

I found this on a forum dated 2/28/2011 and have no idea of its validity or if it matters at my level.

**Begin**

The big advantage of PellesC over Code::Blocks is the IDE features. If you go with Code::Blocks and MinGW you will need to find your own Resource, Dialog, Icon, Bitmap, String Table and Message Table editors, all of which are included in PellesC from the git-go. (And good luck finding a free standing Message Table editor!)

**End**

Can anyone suggest which IDE and why?

Thank you

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: Pelles C versus Code::Blocks
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 06:38:40 am »
I found this on a forum dated 2/28/2011 and have no idea of its validity or if it matters at my level.

**Begin**

The big advantage of PellesC over Code::Blocks is the IDE features. If you go with Code::Blocks and MinGW you will need to find your own Resource, Dialog, Icon, Bitmap, String Table and Message Table editors, all of which are included in PellesC from the git-go. (And good luck finding a free standing Message Table editor!)

**End**
C::B has integrated resource editor called wxSmith. You can use wxSmith to design dialog, add event handler and many other GUI design work.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Pelles C versus Code::Blocks
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 06:58:46 am »
C::B has integrated resource editor called wxSmith. You can use wxSmith to design dialog, add event handler and many other GUI design work.
Besides that, if you embed Tools like ResEd into C::B you have an even more powerful IDE than PellesC. It depends what you have in mind though. For being cross-platform C::B is of much help, for being very deep inside Windows, maybe even use .NET you may be better off with another IDE.

You requirements should drive the choice, no forum posts.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ