Author Topic: wxSmith  (Read 10485 times)

Offline dominover

• Multiple posting newcomer
wxSmith
« on: September 25, 2012, 12:52:25 pm »
I'm just trying to understand something.  Does wxWidgets have to be installed or at least downloaded onto my PC before I can use wxSmith in Code::Blocks?

If I do have to download wxWidgets, which file do I download? 

Thanks
Dominover

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: wxSmith
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 06:19:12 pm »
I'm just trying to understand something.  Does wxWidgets have to be installed or at least downloaded onto my PC before I can use wxSmith in Code::Blocks?
Yes. wxWidgets is a UI toolkit / framework. So the same applies to it as for all toolkits/frameworks: If you want to to use them you need to have a developer version (a.k.a. SDK) of these installed.

If I do have to download wxWidgets, which file do I download?
wxWidgets comes in many flavours (so as many other toolkit). So the question you are asking is wrong: You need to ask yourself what you want to achieve: I.e. what platform, compiler, what features do you need wxWidgets on/with? Than you may look for a pre.-compiled version that suits your needs. Most likely you end-up with compiling it yourself, which is easy, as the wxWidgets build process was designed for that.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline dominover

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 06:49:28 pm »
Thanks for that.  I'm going to compile it myself but I'm having mountains of trouble.  Can you explain something to me as of all the information on the web, I can't seem to get anything right in relation to compiling wxWidgets for codeblocks.

Here's what I've done (which is probably where I've gone wrong).   I've downloaded Code::Blocks with MingW.  I've set that up on my pc.  ..... Next, I've downloaded the source code for wxWidgets for version 2.8.12 in a zip file and unzipped it.  The address is of it's contents are now at C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12 ..

I have opened the dos screen and typed in cd C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12   to change the directory.  This has worked so far.     Then I entered this line into the dos screen:

mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc MONOLITHIC=1 SHARED=1 UNICODE=1 BUILD=release clean

When I hit enter the error tells me that mingw32-make is not a recognized command? 

I'm thinking that I need to download Code::Blocks without MingW,,, then download wxWidgets.. Compile Code::Blocks with MingW then compile wxWidgets with MingW.  Or something along that line.

You would think that I could use the compiler which came with Code::Blocks when I downloaded it but for some reason its just not happening.  I can't seem to get past the error I've explained above. 

Do I have a conceptual misunderstanding here.  Do you know where I've gone wrong. 

Thanks for the help.
Dominover

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 06:59:51 pm »
You need to have the MinGW bin-folder in your systempath.
And builduing starts from the msw\build folder on windows.
You only need to clean the sources, if you have changed something or your compiler has changed.
You don't need to clean between the release and debug build, because they use different folders for their object files.

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 12:38:38 am »

Offline dominover

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 02:11:44 am »
You only need to clean the sources, if you have changed something or your compiler has changed.
You don't need to clean between the release and debug build, because they use different folders for their object files.

Hi

What do you mean by 'Clean Sources'?  How is this related to the question?
I'm trying to compile wxWidgets for code::blocks.  The instructions I've found on the web aren't working?  

I change the directory in DOS,,,, to this:

1 - C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\build\msw>   ..... I even copy and pasted it so there's no errors.

2 - Let assume there's no cleaning to be done (I don't know what that means),  I enter the below

mingw32-make SHELL=CMD.exe -j4 -f makefile.gcc BUILD=release UNICODE=1 SHARED=0 MONOLITHIC=1

and I get the error:

'ming32-make' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file'

I found the instructions on dozens of sites (all similar).  Here's one:
http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Compiling_wxWidgets_with_MinGW

I'm very grateful for the help but this process is doing my head in.  I've been on this for days now. Surely it can't be this hard. 
Is there anything out there which can explain some of the terminology used to set this up, or even the process?   Do you know where I'm going wrong?

Thanks
Dominover
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:48:44 am by dominover »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 06:22:59 am »

Hi

What do you mean by 'Clean Sources'?  How is this related to the question?
I'm trying to compile wxWidgets for code::blocks.  The instructions I've found on the web aren't working?  
That's why Iwrote about cleaning (or not cleaning).
Remember your own post !

mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc MONOLITHIC=1 SHARED=1 UNICODE=1 BUILD=release clean

And you just overread (or ignored or do not understand ?) the important part:

Offline dominover

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 08:25:29 am »
Ok,, I now have all the correct system variables and it compiled or did something.  When I start a new project, then I get more problems.

I get to the last 'New Project' screen where the wizard asks me to 'Please select various configuration options'.  I select 'wxWidgets is build on a monolithic library' & 'Create and use a pre-compiled header. 

When I hit next I get this error:

'A matching debug configuration cannot be found in the wxWidgets directory you specified.  This means that debug target of your project will not build.

'Are you sure you want to continue with these settings'.   

I'm assuming, even though the dos screen lit up with hundreds of lines of information when compiling, it didn't compile?   

Any clues as to where I've gone wrong?

Thanks
Dominover

Offline Freem

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 01:53:38 pm »
Nobody can help you if you do not provide the compiler's logs ("the dos screen lit up with undreds of lines of information") which will allow us, and you, to know the error.

Offline dominover

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 02:46:45 pm »
No.. That was the stage prior to the error message.  It compiled../ no errors.. That doesn't seem to be the issue.
I'll re-quote myself.

Keep in mind the compiling stage is done.. This is when I go to set up a new Project.. I'm now compiling both a release and debug version to see what will happen. 

I get to the last 'New Project' screen where the wizard asks me to 'Please select various configuration options'.  I select 'wxWidgets is build on a monolithic library' & 'Create and use a pre-compiled header.

When I hit next I get this error:

'A matching debug configuration cannot be found in the wxWidgets directory you specified.  This means that debug target of your project will not build.

'Are you sure you want to continue with these settings'. 

Offline dominover

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 05:04:09 pm »
Solved.. It's finally over.  I know understand something I didn't before. 

By entering the two entries below in Dos I'm able to set up a project without error.

mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc SHARED=0 UNICODE=1 MONOLITHIC=1 BUILD=release

mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc SHARED=0 UNICODE=1 MONOLITHIC=1 BUILD=debug

These are the settings for both the debut and the release version which now work.  I initially had SHARED=1 which means that I couldn't proceed in the Project set-up process unless I had selected the DLL option. 

This has taken me days...

Offline Freem

• Almost regular
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 05:08:45 pm »
And you did not had a linker error, in compiler logs? This is very surprising for me... I had such kind of issues long time in the past and had linker error message.

Offline dominover

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 03:56:29 am »
I think that is because it compiled as I asked it to compile.  So it compiled correctly.  It was when I went generate a new project I was putting in the wrong settings.   Not that I would have figured that out without 15 attempts of installing it.