Author Topic: What Is The Minimum PC Requirement for codeblocks to run?  (Read 45058 times)

Offline SajibFinix

• Single posting newcomer
What Is The Minimum PC Requirement for codeblocks to run?
« on: August 27, 2012, 08:53:55 pm »
Hi!
I want to know what is the minimum PC requirement for codeblocks to run.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: What Is The Minimum PC Requirement for codeblocks to run?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 09:08:19 pm »
A machine capable of running Windows XP and 512mb free ram after the OS has been started.
For linux is a similar...512mb free ram after the OS has been started.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

zabzonk

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 10:39:06 am »
You can get away with startlingly low spec machines. Up until last year, I was running C::B on a Windows 2K box with 256Mb total memory. It wasn't fast, but it did run with no problems. I don't believe more recent builds have greatly upped the system requirements.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 01:59:41 pm »
I don't think there is a minimum requirement at all, other than screen size (with 800x600 or even smaller, it will look piss poor, and the settings dialogs probably won't fit on screen).

My copy of Code::Blocks has a virtual size of around 85-90 MiB and a working set of around 26-28 MiB (of which roughly 1/2 is mappings of system shared libraries, only 14 MiB are private).

Add a couple of megabytes depending on how big a project you want to load, and on how many editors you open at the same time. Obviously, keeping half a gigabyte worth of source files open in the editors will take (more than) half a gigabyte of memory, no surprise there.

A Windows system that can't make 15-20 MiB of physical memory available after boot is unusable. Launching Internet Exploder with an empty start page takes more than that, as do system tools like mmc.exe when you do anything but look at them. Windows Exploder dynamically allocates 40-60 MiB just for showing thumbnails when opening a folder with some images inside.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 09:25:41 pm »
You can get away with startlingly low spec machines. Up until last year, I was running C::B on a Windows 2K box with 256Mb total memory. It wasn't fast, but it did run with no problems. I don't believe more recent builds have greatly upped the system requirements.
And what about the compiler and the linker?
Most of the time they are the memory eaters.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

zabzonk

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:32:15 pm »
And what about the compiler and the linker?
Never had any problems building my projects - largest is is about 200 source and header files. As I said, it wasn't very fast, but I could still do a complete rebuild with no problems.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 10:16:42 pm »
Neil: Do you use templates? If not, you've not seen what the compilers/linkers are capable in regard to memory eating :)

zabzonk

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 10:37:52 pm »
Neil: Do you use templates?

Of course I do! Is it really possible to use the C++ Standard Library without doing so? And I define a few of my own, too.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 11:33:24 am »
Compiler and linker may consume 50 MiB, with lots of template recursion I've seen 150-180 MiB.

A Windows operating system is running services that do nothing most of the time worth upwards of 200 MiB (and, usually, another 300-400 MiB of user/vendor installed crap). These will be swapped out when the compiler runs, so apart from a slight performance hit at the first moment, no problem there.

The only serious showstopper is LTO, which will not only quickly run out of physical memory on a low spec machine, but also regularly run out of address space under a 32 bit OS (with /3GB switch and a /LARGEADDRESSAWARE linker) --- LTO eats up the available 3 GiB like nothing.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 06:07:12 pm »
LTO eats up the available 3 GiB like nothing.
And the sad thing is that it is slower at least for me:(