Author Topic: Typing Time Scale  (Read 3508 times)

Offline PicassoCT

• Single posting newcomer
Typing Time Scale
« on: July 09, 2012, 04:37:52 pm »
Hi there, im going to do one of those im lazy but have a great  idea posts, that devs around the globe come to love, because it allows everyone to vent his aggressions.

Here is the idea: If you type code, you usually focus on the task at hand, declaring variables while you are under way, and once you done, you forget about it. Its natural. That s why they invented OO, to keep you from having your variables and functions all over the place.

Now, lets assume, every declaration, every line of code, every function, every class, gets assigned several dates (created, last time changed, last time viewed), and these are stored into something equivalent to the project history in a repository. Now, if i would want, i could for example follow my own last reading of the code, stepping through the last viewed marks. Or i could assign the IDE of choice (to display the code in a Time dependent view, which means - showing the variables were ever i declared them). And last but not least, if i would make a spaghetti-monolith, of th e worst kind, and would sort variables and functions by time.. tada we would back at with a nameless object.

I know this would include a huge performance overhead. And every cpp would grow by a constant of 6*sizeof(float)*codeline but it would be feasible, would nt it?

Offline jarod42

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Typing Time Scale
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 05:19:09 pm »
It seems "similar" to 'svn Blame' or 'Annotate' of some DCVS.

Offline PicassoCT

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 05:43:12 pm »
Not heard of those.. will take a look..  but can those shift the codeview depending on time_events?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 05:50:48 pm »
Not heard of those.. will take a look..  but can those shift the codeview depending on time_events?
It depends, I know the perforce's blame viewer can, the one in tortoisesvn can't...

p.s. if you have history of your browsing you'll get too much noise and it won't be usable...
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]