Author Topic: Losing work in code::blocks  (Read 2996 times)

fg

Losing work in code::blocks
« on: June 26, 2012, 01:22:54 pm »
F.Grasdepot (1st Post)

Hi,

I loose easily work when using codeblocks with  two or more instances of the same file .c opened simultaneously.
This happens usually when closing the instances in any order and getting the message "do you want to save your work" displayed. Thus the user wonders if this file is the most recent version of the multiple instances that were closed or not and is induced in saying no since it has already closed files with the same name.

Is there any strategy/action to prevent this from happening ? 
There is always the save all files option but I am not sure that when you get the message you do not have already lost some modifications of the files closed.

As it is my firs post, I apologized in advance for:
- not being clear
- not being relevant

I end saying that except such a disagreement for a beginner, I am quite admirative of the combination of Codeblocks with gcc since I was able to translate a VC6 development of an http server of my own in minutes.

FG

Offline jarod42

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Losing work in code::blocks
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 03:20:15 pm »
Note: you can split a single file in CodeBlocks (rigth-click on active editor and then split view).

When you modify a file outside the CB (and save it), CB warn you and ask if you want to reload the file
(also during the question when you close an unsaved file).

If you modify (without saving) the same file with 2 editors,
then at least one of the modification will be lost.

CB doesn't do some local control versioning to merge both modifications.