Author Topic: Some C::B Settings Persist After Reinstallation  (Read 4824 times)

Offline BadNature

• Single posting newcomer
Some C::B Settings Persist After Reinstallation
« on: June 14, 2012, 05:12:53 am »
Okay, so the other day I installed the Code::Blocks package bundled with MinGW and it worked. I got it to compile the "Hello World" console program that comes as the template for that project type. Peachy. However, I was forced to uninstall and reinstall several times in the process of getting it to work (forgot certain plugins, various other reasons, laziness, what have you).

Because I reinstalled several times, I noticed a few strange things that didn't seem to be a problem at the time. For example, when I ran C::B for the first time, it tried to autodetect compiler installation paths. Upon reinstalling (several times) it never did this again. I presume this is because it saves the information it gathers upon its initial autodetection in a hidden (or even not-so-hidden) file somewhere outside the CodeBlocks save directory. When I was trying to get the DevPaks plugin to work, it did the same thing: prompted me for some configuration info, then never did it again, even when I reinstalled. Same thing with the "Tip of the day" feature: I ticked the little box saying not to show it, and it never showed up again even after reinstalling.

I only bring those points up because they lend support to the idea that Code::Blocks saves configuration files somewhere which do not go away when the program is uninstalled. Now, onto my actual problem:

I seem to have somehow tweaked a setting that now prevents me from compiling anything. This condition, like the above mentioned ones, persists after reinstallation. Now I could just give you guys a bunch of information about that problem, but I think it would be a lot faster if someone can just tell me how to get rid of the configuration files that Code::Blocks saves on the computer so I can reinstall, instead of wasting everyone's time trying to figure out what went wrong in the bowels of my compiler command line settings or whatever.

Thank you so much to anyone who does not TL;DR me on this, I appreciate you taking the time to read through and respond, even if it doesn't result in a solution.

Specs:
Code::Blocks version: 10.05 with MinGW.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: Some C::B Settings Persist After Reinstallation
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 05:36:01 am »
I think it would be a lot faster if someone can just tell me how to get rid of the configuration files that Code::Blocks saves on the computer so I can reinstall, instead of wasting everyone's time trying to figure out what went wrong in the bowels of my compiler command line settings or whatever.
C::B have some kind of "setting" or "configuration" files, you can read this page: 2 Q: How do I make Code::Blocks portable? EDIT: I update the wiki, and the new link should be: 2 Q: Where does C::B's configuration file store? How do I make Code::Blocks portable?

You can delete this file(by default, its file name is default.conf), also, you can define your own configuration file, see: Personalities - CodeBlocks

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 05:49:26 am by ollydbg »
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline BadNature

• Single posting newcomer
Re: Some C::B Settings Persist After Reinstallation
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 07:22:48 am »
C::B have some kind of "setting" or "configuration" files, you can read this page: 2 Q: How do I make Code::Blocks portable? EDIT: I update the wiki, and the new link should be: 2 Q: Where does C::B's configuration file store? How do I make Code::Blocks portable?

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I needed. I had no idea where to start looking for this information, you have saved me a lot of time.