Author Topic: Using Codeblocks on 64-bit PC - What should I know?  (Read 6641 times)

Offline resander

• Multiple posting newcomer
Using Codeblocks on 64-bit PC - What should I know?
« on: June 07, 2012, 11:26:43 am »
I have been using a 32-bit Compaq desktop for general use and program development (the last 3-4 years using Codeblocks IDE) for many years. The Compaq is now beginning to show signs of age and (reluctantly - it has been such a dependable workhorse) I have started to look for a desktop replacement.

Looking at the usual outlets Dell, Amazon etc, it would appear the large majority of PCs offered nowadays are 64-bit. I probably should get one of these, but what would the consequences be:

Q1. Is Codeblocks 32-bit and will it run as it is without changes on a 64-bit PC?

Q2. I will still need to generate code (and test using Codeblocks) for 32-bit PCs. Can I do this easily? Also, of course, I will need to generate and test for 64 bit.

Q3. I have many Codeblocks 32-bit projects. Can I still maintain these on a 64-bit PC without making any changes to code or Codeblocks usage?

Q4. Anything else that I should know?

Ken

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Using Codeblocks on 64-bit PC - What should I know?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 11:31:19 am »
Q1. Is Codeblocks 32-bit and will it run as it is without changes on a 64-bit PC?
Yes.

Q2. I will still need to generate code (and test using Codeblocks) for 32-bit PCs. Can I do this easily?
Yes.

Q3. I have many Codeblocks 32-bit projects. Can I still maintain these on a 64-bit PC without making any changes to code or Codeblocks usage?
Yes.

Q4. Anything else that I should know?
Yes - additionally, if you install a (MinGW) 64 bit compiler in parallel, you can also target native 64 bit applications. Even though you are using a 32 bit Code::Blocks. All is fine.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline resander

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 11:56:07 am »
I was just coming back to the thread to add that I was using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
and your reply was already there! Many thanks for the ultra-fast reply.

Do your replies to q1-q4 apply to Ubuntu too?

Ken

Offline xunxun

• Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 12:07:47 pm »
I was just coming back to the thread to add that I was using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
and your reply was already there! Many thanks for the ultra-fast reply.

Ken

Also yes when you have 32bit or 64bit runtime ...
Regards,
xunxun

Offline resander

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 02:44:34 pm »
I have been googling a bit on permutations of 'Ubuntu',  '32bit programs' and '64-bit hardware'. From my limited experience the matches I got seem somewhat contradictory.

Some say 'no problem - 32 bit apps run on 64bit Ubuntu', other say '32-bit shared libraries would not be available for 32-bit apps on 64-bit Ubuntu, so the 32-bit app would not work' and a few more like that adding to my confusion.

I am getting 32-bit Codeblocks latest versions via the Ubuntu Update Manager. Jens Lody provides these and it works extremely well.

Q5. Does 32-bit codeblocks work on 64-bit Ubuntu without need to
    install it in some special way. If not, what is involved?
Q6. Do Jens Lody's updates produce 64-bit Codeblocks too?

For the foreseeable future I will continue to develop 32-bit software, so I do not really need 64-bit. But new desktops nowadays come with 64 bit, so I don't have much choice. Besides it would be nice to be able to occasionally transcode video formats which should be faster with 64-bit hardware. On balance I would like to get a 64-bit PC, but if that is going to cause extra work for codeblocks program development then I may have to opt for a second-hand 32-bit PC instead.

Ken

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 02:57:31 pm »
C::B runs just fine in navite 64bit mode on linux and this is for ages.
There is no point in running 32bit open source project in 64bit linux if there is functional 64bit.
And there is.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 05:11:55 pm »
Should be the same answer. Win/Linux32 is always a subset of Win/Linux64. So there are no problems expected. Just you need to insure you are not linking 32 bit applications against 64 bit systems libs, but their 32 bit equivalent. But the linker will complain otherwise...
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 06:32:00 pm »
For running 32 bit apps on 64bit linux you need to install also the 32 bit compatibility libraries. Search the internet for details.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]