Author Topic: Can't install codeblocks-contrib on ubuntu 12.04  (Read 37432 times)

Offline neo1691

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Can't install codeblocks-contrib on ubuntu 12.04
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 11:56:36 am »
Yes it does.
Also tried geany

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 03:36:15 pm »
Did you try it without a single quote in the path?

/home/neo1691/Programming/IDE's Tests/

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline neo1691

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 05:19:28 pm »

Tim S.
I had to remove codeblocks as everytime i booted in ubuntu it gave an error regarding usr/share/codeblocks

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 06:43:08 pm »

Tim S.
I had to remove codeblocks as everytime i booted in ubuntu it gave an error regarding usr/share/codeblocks
What error ?
Normally codeblocks does nothing during boot.

Offline neo1691

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 06:49:43 pm »
Whenever i booted into ubuntu there was an error saying "Internal error occoured, send the error details to  [Something-like-that]", in that under the details tab i found that usr/share/codeblocks line..

I dont remember much, should have taken a screenshot though.

Offline neo1691

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 04:16:23 pm »
Quick update: pasgui repository works perfectly with ubuntu 12.04!!

Offline JosephMudloff

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 04:17:55 am »
I THINK I HAVE A *MUCH* EASIER (and elegant) SOLUTION, for those who are coming across this for the first time.

I know this is an older thread, but it's still relevant since Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise) is still supported (server version, at least), and versions 10.x and 12.x of CODE::BLOCKS are still available. In fact, 13.x will NOT install on Ubuntu Precise without a LOT of system customization, so if you want v13.x, install it on a more recent Ubuntu version.

I had the same conflict as HeReSY, and I resolved the problem *without* having to recompile or rebuild anything, using the CODE::BLOCKS .deb files available from the project's SourceForge page (not a fork or private repo):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/codeblocks/files/Binaries/12.11/

Note, the downloads they provide (at the time of this writing, at least) are zipped .tar.bz2 files that contain all of the .DEB files (except for libhunspell, the problem child here). PAY ATTENTION to which master archive file you're downloading, as there 4 different versions for Debian: both testing and stable, plus debug and regular versions of both of those.

To qualify this solution, be informed that the system I'm using for this is 32-bit, installed from scratch -- not upgraded. I haven't tried this on a 64-bit system. Nor will I, any time soon, so you can be the first kid on your block to append this forum thread with your results!

Also, in HeReSY's original post, it's unclear if the trouble was on a from-scratch install or a dist-upgrade. In the first post of this topic, (s)he states,
"Now i upgraded my pc with the newest Ubuntu version 12.04."
But, that's ambiguous. As a side note (based on the past experiences of myself and others), when moving to a new version of Ubuntu, a strong recommendation is to perform a fresh install rather than a dist-upgrade.

To briefly explain the cause of the original problem here, the version of libhunspell for Ubuntu Precise is 1.3.x, and as mentioned in the initial post of this thread (by forum member HeReSY), the codeblocks-contrib package requires 1.2 >= 1.2.11 (currently) -- 1.3 won't work.

*** HOWEVER ***
You ~can~ (yes, can) install the required older version 1.2.11 *without* removing v1.3; they can both exist on the same Ubuntu Precise system.

VERY IMPORTANT: The only libhunspell-1.2 version from Ubuntu is 1.2.8, so you have to use the one for Debian (which is v1.2.11). Easiest way: download the .DEB file:

32-bit
https://packages.debian.org/squeeze/i386/libhunspell-1.2-0/download

64-bit
https://packages.debian.org/squeeze/amd64/libhunspell-1.2-0/download

Then, simply use dpkg to install it:

$ sudo dpkg -i /path/to/the/DEB/file.deb

For me, that went off without a hitch. Additionally, I had PURGED (apt-get purge) the CODE::BLOCKS v10.5 packages that I originally installed from the Ubuntu Precise apt repositories. This also includes libwxSmith stuff, too (but not wx-2.x -- keep that/those, if they're already installed).

Anything that is provided as a .DEB file from the SourceForge CODE::BLOCKS archive(s) should be uninstalled/purged from your Ubuntu Precise installation before you begin. That will save you a LOT of headaches.

Also, install the build-essential metapackage (and anything else your system needs for development) BEFORE you start. It may not be necessary, but 1.) YOU'RE INSTALLING A PROGRAMMING DEVELOPMENT IDE (duh), and 2.) If/as you DO run into trouble, it'll be a lot easier to figure out a solution.

So, after installing the older required 1.2 version of libhunspell (*without* uninstalling the v1.3 you currently have), move on to the CODE::BLOCKS .DEB files, using dpkg again, as above.

*** ANOTHER HOWEVER ***
The order in which they're installed will make a little bit of a difference. And my apologies up front, I can't remember what finally got me through the whole thing. But...

...there was one (again, sorry, don't remember which, perhaps one of the libwxSmith packages) that failed, and another CODEBLOCKS .deb that gets reported as a broken package if one of the other ones isn't installed first. Just use common sense (like, make sure wx-2.8 and/or 2.6 and/or 3.whatever [at least one of those] are installed first, along with your basic development tools), and then use trial and error... and don't get freaked out too much if you run into a dpkg failure. If one package fails, move on to another one and get back to it. You're not going to hoark your system with this, just keep plugging away until they all get installed, which they eventually should.

One last side note -- something that I haven't been able to resolve yet, unfortunately. Once everything is installed, some of the CONTRIB stuff is configured incorrectly somewhere. The basic problem is that if you go to use (a contrib) thingie, like the tree list control or FlatNotebook, you get errors either when adding it to the form interface (like in the case of the TreeList), or at build/compile time, as with wxFlatNotebook. Part of the trouble is that the contrib stuff winds up in

/usr/include/codeblocks/wxContribItems/...
and
/usr/lib/codeblocks/wxContribItems/...

However, part of the CODE::BLOCKS program is looking for the wxSmithContribItems directory (note the SMITH in there). I got part of it resolved (sloppily) by doing a [$ sudo cp -prv] to provide the system with a clone of each, using each name. I thought it best not to try at first with symbolic links, since that could lead to further problems. Partial success! Meaning, no errors when adding to the form, and fewer errors when doing a build-and-run.

But even after doing that, the original header files still declare #include<wx/thingie/[headerfile].h> or #include<wx/[headerfile].h>... so, at compile time, I still get errors (only not as many, yay!) because "wx/" is a relative path appended to a base include or search path (I'm guessing), which doesn't correctly include the location of these contrib files. And, manually editing the #include statements in the header files would certainly NOT be an ideal solution.

So, I just wanted to provide a heads-up that something is wrong with the contrib stuff (not yet sure if it's codeblocks-contrib, codeblocks-wxcontrib or both). And, not sure if it's a glitch from the CODE::BLOCKS dev team, the Debian package maintainer(s) or the contributors. Regardless, it certainly wasn't thoroughly tested.  ???

However, there are only 7 GUI widgets on the Contrib tab in CODE::BLOCKS v12.11 out of the box, and these seem to be the only things affected. Additionally, most seem to be just enhanced implementations of some of the widgets available on the Standard tab. So, the meat & potatoes are awesome, but the cranberry sauce is putrid.

At any rate, I'm not going to promise to follow up on this once I get it fixed, *if* I get it fixed, because only a small percentage of posts that promise, "I'll post more [bull$hit] when I find out more..." actually fulfill the promise. And, I've got TONS of other things with which to wrestle. So, if someone else who is at least half as tenacious as I am can get a little farther on the contrib widgets, hopefully they'll share their insights here.

Again, though, it's just those Contrib items that I've found troublesome, the rest of it is tip-top.

In my case, at least. LUBBS me sum CODE::BLOCKS !$!!

Good luck!

Joseph
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:25:09 am by JosephMudloff »