Author Topic: How to support Qb64 compiler.  (Read 10563 times)

Offline Null4Ever

• Single posting newcomer
How to support Qb64 compiler.
« on: May 13, 2012, 04:41:27 am »
Hi all Code::blocks lovers,

I'm a real and true newbee to this forum (this is my first ever post).

I'm using the excellent Code::blockS product under both Ubuntu and Windows for small C and C++ programming jobs and I appreciate it a lot.

However, I recently discovered the QB64 compiler that is a very amazing (and quite very efficient Quick Basic like language) compiler that translates QB "quite" like programming source code into C++, then compiles it to create executables.

QB64 (written by its author named Galleon) is available both for Linux, OS/X and Windows (several flavors of each of them).

You can get it at: http://www.qb64.net/forum/index.php?topic=6007.0

It's purpose is to revive the good old "BASIC" language that could be used by beginners (the original goal of BASIC, wasn't it) to create and develop a bunch of different applications (including games as well as dynamic web sites or rich graphical applications) on the newest OS and hardware pieces since MSFT abandoned its development long years ago.

Today, QB64 has a huge community of BASIC lovers worldwide, but there is a need for a modern IDE.

And if this is possible, I think that Code::blockS could be a perfect match.

However, I've no clue about how to make an interface (the minimum would be the word complexion and a syntax checking) between QB64 and Code::blockS.

Meanwhile, I do know that QB64 already uses "gtksourceview".

If Code::blockS does too, it could be possible for Code::blockS' experts to easily help the QB community to do some basic syntax hilighting for QB64 using and setting up the qb64.lang (available in the WIKI GEDIT page of the QB64 forum).

Thank you in advance for your time reading this message and for any help you could give to interface the QB64 amazing compiler to the excellent Code::blockS IDE, if it's possible.

King regards.
Philippe.

PS: QB64 is a free and open souce product. If you ever used BASIC, please give it a try. You'll be amazed by its capabilities and performances.

PS: I've no connection with QB64 but the single fact that reviving this quite enhanced (QB64) powerful language (vs poor performing solutions such as PHP or even worst Java) may be quite useful for beginners to computing.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: How to support Qb64 compiler.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:41:20 am »
You should first start to discuss with the scintilla guys. Most syntax highlighting comes from the scintilla component we use inside C::B. If that supports this Basic, you can create a lexer. Embedding the compiler is another story.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ