Author Topic: Shift F3  (Read 22449 times)

Offline rjl

• Multiple posting newcomer
Shift F3
« on: May 02, 2012, 07:21:04 pm »
The Shift F3 shortcut for backwards search has suddenly stopped working for me. It now acts the same as plain F3. Did I do something to cause this to happen or are others having this problem? Any suggestions on how I can get it back?

One other unrelated issue. I pretty much always open the same workspace which has a couple of projects in it. At start-up it, no matter what project and/or file I was last working on, I am dropped into one particular file from one particular project that I don't happen to work on all that often. Is there some way to get CB to open into the last edited file?

Thank you all very much!

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Shift F3
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 07:53:55 pm »
What is you distro/os/version of c::b? My magic ball is out of mana!
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline rjl

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:03:04 pm »
C::B 10.05 on Kubuntu 12.04. Upgraded a few days ago and the problem started soon after that, but not immediately after -- I think!  BTW, did a sanity check with Kate and Shift F3 does behave properly there.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:32:45 pm »
I have this problem, too and it is related to the xkeyboard-config being broken, but this is for all applications.
Are you sure there is keybinding for shift-f3?
See next to the search->find previous menu item.
The key binding for this item should be displayed there.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline rjl

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 08:51:14 pm »
Yes, the menu entry shows Shift+F3. Are you saying you don't see that? And, of course, clicking the "find previous" menu item works as expected.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 08:59:44 pm »
I have this problem, too and it is related to the xkeyboard-config being broken, but this is for all applications.
For me all shift-fx shortcuts are broken. This caused by all xkeyboard-config versions after 2.3.0 or something like that.

Offline rjl

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 09:42:20 pm »
My problem seems to be C::B unique, so I am still open to suggestions. 

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 09:48:51 pm »
Does it work with scite, gedit or anything based on gtk for example? Mine scite doesn't work.

Offline rjl

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 11:12:02 pm »
Good call. It does not work for Scite. (I'm afraid knowing what is -- and isn't -- gtk based is over my head since I don't really know what gtk is.)

You may be on to something here. After my upgrade, to prevent C::B from dying on start-up I had to change the Application Appearance - GTK+ Appearances - Widget Style from oxygen-gtk to Raleigh. (This was suggested in another thread on this site I can't seem to find right now.) So something's up with GTK -- whatever that is.

So, where do we go from here? :)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 11:29:28 pm »
As this is system's related we cannot help you here.
Go bug your distro maintainers/support.

Offline rjl

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 11:36:05 pm »
Thanks for your time. Now at least I have a pretty good idea of what the problem is.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 11:43:34 pm »
If you fix it please post the solution here, cause I suffer a lot from this too...

Offline Freem

• Almost regular
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 12:21:11 pm »
I have the problem too. (well, on a debian testing so...)
But I just would like to say that I am not sure that the problem is because of global configuration, because opera works perfectly.
Because it is closed source, I can not check that, but I think they are using Qt (opera is linked statically, so I can not know it's dependencies), so the problem might come from gtk. Sadly, I am not experienced enough with linux to even know which part of X have the problem.

I might have found some interesting readings on the same kind of problems here: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/amd64/240261
I will read it and if I find something interesting I will reply here.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 12:23:28 pm »
Opera is Qt based I think, at least it the past it was.
Try scite, gedit or anything based on gtk.
I have no software based on Qt on my system and thus I cannot try. :(

Offline Freem

• Almost regular
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 03:58:25 pm »
Opera is the only one (which use Qt) on mine. I have already tried scite, and the problem is the same as yours. This is why I am thinking that the problem may (or may not) be related to gtk.

I would like to know, when you run xev, what does it gave to you?
On my computer, it seem to be fine, the "state" is correct for F1 and shift+F1, and keysim is the good one too (0xffbe here).

I have bind xev to codeblocks, with the id provided by xwininfo, but I do not understand results at all: they are all the same...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 04:02:18 pm by Freem »