Author Topic: Crash when reloading files modified by another application  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Freem

• Almost regular
Crash when reloading files modified by another application
« on: April 14, 2012, 04:34:52 pm »
To be honest, I do not know what happens.
I It seem changing files opened by C::B with another application (git, in my situation) make C::B crash. It did not happened before...

I am not even sure to be able to reproduce steps, because it might be because I used a wrong command with git. I am a pure newbie with this vcs... I am not really sure of why I am trying to use it for my project in fact. SVN is far simpler. Bref.

Joined to this post is a tar containing files generated by C::B (I had 2 crashes, but a file lacks, for an unknown reason). If I make this crash happens again, I will try to find a way to reproduce it. If more information is needed, I am at your service.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Crash when reloading files modified by another application
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 08:12:17 pm »
I use git with C::B and have no such issues (debian 64-bit, neither with wx2.8 compile dC::B, nor with wx2.9.4 compiled C::B).

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 08:30:53 pm »
I use git with C::B and have no such issues (debian 64-bit, neither with wx2.8 compile dC::B, nor with wx2.9.4 compiled C::B).
Concerning the crash log it looks like the project file(s) (maybe several in a WS) were modified and C::B asked to reload the project and the user hit "yes". Well what I never tried is what happens, if you change i.e. all project files in a workspace at once which would trigger a lot of these events. This might indeed not be very safe. However - this is also something you should not do when you've opened the workspace. It's like changing all the rules you reference to at once... ::)
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Freem

• Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:35:25 pm »
Changing files with git could have changed many project files... But it is strange, I make modifications very rarely and most often one by one for commits. And never on all projects on the same time, because one just have no dependencies on other nor other's dependencies, and is pretty stable.

But I have many projects in the workspace:
_ the main application
_ a render engine
_ a plugin engine
_ 2 plugins

Plugins are just for tests and when plugin engine is modified, they are often modified too, as the main application (and I am currently working on that point because plugin engine is just crap. I am ashamed of it's code)

So maybe a modification had made me modify many projects and the git cancel those modifications?

Anyway, it is not a big problem, it only happens rarely, and I am not even able to reproduce it easily. Just a kind of notification in fact.

PS: just a note: about the " this is also something you should not do " imagine you are working on a netbook and reload a workspace after each commit/checkout is not really fast ;)