Author Topic: Wont build?  (Read 5433 times)

Offline RitualSilence

• Single posting newcomer
Wont build?
« on: February 02, 2012, 05:23:50 pm »
I installed a new hard drive which ment I had to reinstall code::blocks.  I use it for a college programming C class, I started working on an assignment and when I try to test it nothing happens!  If I click build and run, or build nothing happens, no messages nothing  If i click run then I get an error message asking if I want to build my project.  When I click yes nothing happens.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Wont build?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 05:49:45 pm »
I suggest turning on "Full Compiler Logging"
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ-Compiling_%28errors%29#Q:_How_do_I_troubleshoot_a_compiler_problem.3F

Note: If compiler not installed or configured wrong then that will not help much.

Info needed to help you.

Compiler name and version?
Code::Blocks version?
OS Name?

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline RitualSilence

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 07:02:35 pm »
Still not working

Code::Blocks 10.05
Running Vista

the only diffrence between my hard drive now and then is my new HD does not have Microsoft office or visual ultimate 2010, im new to programming as this is my second semester and im still very very very new, do I need the Visual Studio installed on my machine for Code::Blocks to function?

Professor hasnt taught us much as far as compilers and such go, I just know the process of linking+running and programming so please dont take my ignorance for rudeness.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 10:18:45 pm »
Still not working

Code::Blocks 10.05
Running Vista

the only diffrence between my hard drive now and then is my new HD does not have Microsoft office or visual ultimate 2010, im new to programming as this is my second semester and im still very very very new, do I need the Visual Studio installed on my machine for Code::Blocks to function?

Professor hasnt taught us much as far as compilers and such go, I just know the process of linking+running and programming so please dont take my ignorance for rudeness.

You need a Compiler to Compile code.
If you have no Compiler then you can NOT program using Code::Blocks IDE.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline RitualSilence

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 01:48:02 am »
Thank you so much!!!  As I mentioned before I am still learning

Offline RitualSilence

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 01:33:24 am »
So, I installed VS2010 ultimate, I am still having no luck  by default my programs are being saved in my documents, is there a special file or folder I should be saving my projects to?

Edit: In an act of fusteration I uninstalled Code::Blocks and reinstalled but DLed the one with the gcc compiler,  Still unable to build/run  even copied a program out of my book so I was 100% sure it should work.  I dont understand that is diffrent from then to now, all I can think of is im not saving my programs to the correct folder?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:53:58 am by RitualSilence »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 01:01:28 pm »
Go to "Settings -> Compiler and debugger" and check the "Toolchain executables" tab for the compiler you have installed, to be sure, that it is set up correctly.
As far as I know, VS2010 is not directly supported by the 10.05 release, but by the more recent nightly builds.
MinGW should work fine.

Offline RitualSilence

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 02:10:41 am »
Thank you all for the help, after much trial and error and googling I have finally got it to work.  I did not know that the Mingw compiler doesnt like to be in filders with spaces so everything was installed in C:\program files  I uninstalled, reinstalled to a new folder I created which was just C:\codeblocks and now everything works fine.

Thank you everyone again for the assistance, im so happy im able to keep using this program I really enjoy the layout and the color coding!