Author Topic: Compiler settings - different places different settings  (Read 3632 times)

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
Compiler settings - different places different settings
« on: October 30, 2011, 05:14:42 pm »
When creating new project there seems to be confusion and inconsistency regarding compiler settings:
1. There are different settings when I access them via Settings/Compiler
2. And Different settings for compiler when accessed via Project/build options

I do understand that there may be an scenario where this kind of inconsistency is desired but "I think" that for most everyday use, those two should be synchronized (maybe option like "keep them synchronized", or something like that?)

Also in project/build options on the upper left corner I see a tree with:
Project name
   I
   I...Debug
   I
   I...Release

and again I do understand that it is vital to have different options for debug and release but for which verion are the compiler options set when I actually select project name (not debug not release). Are they apply to both of those or to none of those? If to none of those what are they for?

My humble suggestion is to completely remove this option from menu Project and alter/adjust compiler dialog in settings/compiler. There could be a combo with debug/release and that would be pretty obvious to which those settings apply.
By doing so we would have those options localized in one place which would greatly simplify use of cb. Also it would be immense improvement to user interface.
thanks.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Compiler settings - different places different settings
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 05:49:56 pm »
and again I do understand that it is vital to have different options for debug and release but for which verion are the compiler options set when I actually select project name (not debug not release). Are they apply to both of those or to none of those? If to none of those what are they for?
This can be chosen by a policy. Either they are overridden by the targets options or the target option get prepended or appended. Consult the Code::Blocks documentation for details.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 06:30:44 pm »
@Morten seems logical what you've just said. But in that case don't you think that those options which are getting appended/prepended should be shown (greyed out) in front of the current list? I think that this would clarify and simplify this dialog.
Thanks.

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 06:45:51 pm »
When creating new project there seems to be confusion and inconsistency regarding compiler settings:
1. There are different settings when I access them via Settings/Compiler
2. And Different settings for compiler when accessed via Project/build options
Anything set in Settings/Compiler is stored in Code::Blocks' user data (and (normally) applied to all targets of every project).
Settings under Project/build options are stored in the actual project file - they will persist if the project is copied to another computer (these are then applied only to the target/project they are specific for).

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 07:41:14 pm »
@Alpha that's ok, but I think that could still work if accessed via just one dialog not two.