Author Topic: Autohide for panels  (Read 8384 times)

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
Autohide for panels
« on: October 30, 2011, 04:21:04 pm »
Guys, I think that having panels like Manager, logs etc with auto hide option would be a good idea. Very often I don't need them just right now, but in a minute or two, but I also wouldn't like to switch them off completely. It would be nice if they can just get minimized and wait for me until I need them. Also there should be pin/unpin option to make them stay without autohiding.
Thanks.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Autohide for panels
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 05:13:46 pm »
Whats wrong with F2?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 05:17:37 pm »
Hi Morten,
1. It is absolutely not obvious that F2 can be used in order to hide/show those panels.
2. It doesn't work for manager panel - and perhaps other panels too.
Again, this shows inconsistency in interface design and it should be/could be improved. I think that would improved user experience overall.
Thanks.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 05:51:26 pm »
Again, this shows inconsistency in interface design and it should be/could be improved. I think that would improved user experience overall.
Thanks.
I don't think so. It just shows you are not familiar with Code::Blocks. You can setup perspectives AS YOU LIKE and switch between them. Please consult the Code::Blocks documentation for details.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 06:22:59 pm »
1. It is absolutely not obvious that F2 can be used in order to hide/show those panels.
2. It doesn't work for manager panel - and perhaps other panels too.
Look through the start-up tips in Code::Blocks, one of them says:
You can press F2 and Shift-F2 to hide the messages and manager pane respectively

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 06:24:17 pm »
@Morten ok so how can I hide/unhide Open files panel? Second thing, even if this is possible it is much easier to just point to the panel you want and make it "unhide" than remember all different shortcuts for all different panels.
I believe that this design principle was one of the factors why windows became most popular OS and DOS did not.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 06:27:52 pm by smallB »

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 06:26:29 pm »
@Alpha ok, and what if I add i.e. watch window and dock it at the bottom? How (which shortcut) will allow me to un/hide it?

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 08:58:08 pm »
@Morten ok so how can I hide/unhide Open files panel? Second thing, even if this is possible it is much easier to just point to the panel you want and make it "unhide" than remember all different shortcuts for all different panels.
You usually have for everything also a "button" or a menu. For the open files list you can use the mouse and press the "X" on the top-right of the window, as this is very common in Windows to close windows that way. Hence, most developers use shortcuts as this is way faster then mouse.

If you need anything else, provide patches. Look: I am reading say the tenth "suggestion" you after you might have used C::B for half a month or so. Why don't you first play a little more with it and read some of the docs / tutorials? Don't forget that we all here do all the hard work in our spare time besides normal life, normal job and family. So please also understand, that we must priorise wishes which does not mean we ignore them (as you can see from every change log of every release).

In the end, if some feature is missing - you can implement it yourself. That's the whole idea of OpenSource. So again: Patches?

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 09:09:52 pm »
@Alpha ok, and what if I add i.e. watch window and dock it at the bottom? How (which shortcut) will allow me to un/hide it?
I have never tried specifically what you are asking, however, if there is a menu option to control a function (pretty much anything), the keyboard shortcuts plugin will be able to bind it.

(By the way, take into consideration what Morten said.)

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 10:44:25 pm »
@Morten thanks for your answer. Yes, of course I do understand that everyone has life. And of course I also do understand that no one is "actively" ignoring either my suggestions nor others. I do understand those things.
Yes, I think that I should teach myself little more and provide patches if something I see need/can be fixed.
Thanks.
P.S. Sure will play with cb. I think it is great IDE. Thank you guys for all your hard work.
P.S 1. I hope you don't mind me posting more suggestions here. If yes just tell me and I stop.