Author Topic: Undefined reference to undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'  (Read 41499 times)

Offline HBB Think Tank

• Single posting newcomer
  • HBB
    • HBB Think Tank
Undefined reference to undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'
« on: October 29, 2011, 08:06:32 pm »
Hello!

Please allow for anythink stupid in my post, as I am a triple beginner, as far as this post is concerned:

I am new to GUI programming, I am new to Code::Blocks and wxWidget, and I am new to this board.

That said I am not new to fora, nor to Google, nor to programming (actually I did GUI programming with Visual Studio 2008 but that's not the same).

Okay, from the beginning: I downloaded and installed Code::Blocks (version 10.05) and I also installed wxWidgets2.8. Well, this part I don't remember too well; I've installed this quite a while ago. Anyway...

Now, what I did was follow the instructions of the Code::Blocks WxSmith tutorial. The only difference was me unckecking the Use wxWidgets DLL option as I want to be able to run the application anywhere without additional files.

Before getting to the Let's add some fireworks chapter, the tutorial asks me to try and compile the wxWidgets application. And that's where I get loads of errors.

Code
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_string.o):string.cpp|| undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_string.o):string.cpp|| undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_string.o):string.cpp|| more undefined references to `_Unwind_Resume' follow|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_string.o):string.cpp:(.eh_frame+0x12)||undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_menucmn.o):menucmn.cpp|| undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_menucmn.o):menucmn.cpp|| undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_menucmn.o):menucmn.cpp|| more undefined references to `_Unwind_Resume' follow|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_menucmn.o):menucmn.cpp:(.eh_frame+0x12)||undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_event.o):event.cpp|| undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_event.o):event.cpp|| undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_event.o):event.cpp|| more undefined references to `_Unwind_Resume' follow|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_event.o):event.cpp:(.eh_frame+0x12)||undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_frame.o):frame.cpp|| undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_frame.o):frame.cpp|| undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_frame.o):frame.cpp|| more undefined references to `_Unwind_Resume' follow|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_frame.o):frame.cpp:(.eh_frame+0x12)||undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_gdicmn.o):gdicmn.cpp|| undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_gdicmn.o):gdicmn.cpp|| undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_gdicmn.o):gdicmn.cpp|| more undefined references to `_Unwind_Resume' follow|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_gdicmn.o):gdicmn.cpp:(.eh_frame+0x12)||undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_list.o):list.cpp|| undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_list.o):list.cpp|| undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_list.o):list.cpp|| more undefined references to `_Unwind_Resume' follow|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_list.o):list.cpp:(.eh_frame+0x12)||undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_menu.o):menu.cpp|| undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_menu.o):menu.cpp|| undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_menu.o):menu.cpp|| more undefined references to `_Unwind_Resume' follow|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_menu.o):menu.cpp:(.eh_frame+0x12)||undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'|
G:\SourceCode\Libraries\wxWidgets2.8\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw28u.a(monolib_statbr95.o):statbr95.cpp|| undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'|
||More errors follow but not being shown.|
||Edit the max errors limit in compiler options...|
||=== Build finished: 50 errors, 0 warnings ===|

And I don't know how to start making it work. So, any help is appreciated except some lmgtfy.com link.
Dilettante en Code::Blocks but not yet stupid enough to learn it...

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Undefined reference to undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:15:44 pm »
IIRC (if I recall correctly) this error happens when mixing SJLJ and DW2 MinGW GCC Object code.

Make sure the compiler type used to create the program matches the type used to create the Library.

SJLJ = Set Jump Long Jump an Exception handling method common to Windows.
DW2 = Dwarf 2 the new Exception handling method used by default in Recent Standard MinGW Builds and Linux GCC.

In other words, the problem is Compiler/Library caused; not Code::Blocks caused. I suggest posting on a MinGW Support site or a C/C++ Programming site.

Possible sites include
http://cboard.cprogramming.com/general-programming-boards/
http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=54f46211f9fbed17bd3d76ad2c5ca923

Turn on Full Compiler Logging and find another site to post problem.
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ-Compiling_%28errors%29#Q:_How_do_I_troubleshoot_a_compiler_problem.3F

See Links
Improper mixing of C/C++ Compiler; might be Code::Blocks configuration issue http://bytes.com/topic/c/answers/433942-undefined-reference-__gxx_personality_v0

The cause I stated http://www.qtforum.org/article/32153/undefined-reference-to-unwind-resume.html

Tim S.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 08:25:00 pm by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline HBB Think Tank

• Single posting newcomer
  • HBB
    • HBB Think Tank
Solution to: Undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 06:57:54 pm »
I have asked and was helped.

Indeed the problem was that I used the official MinGW binaries while wxPack was compiled with the TDM MinGW GCC v4.4.1 Unofficial Installer. So either use that compiler or compile wxWidgets with the official MinGW.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Dilettante en Code::Blocks but not yet stupid enough to learn it...