Author Topic: BlueScreen on windows vista  (Read 7217 times)

Offline demone

• Multiple posting newcomer
BlueScreen on windows vista
« on: October 22, 2011, 11:38:10 am »
Hi I'm getting from time to time some bluescreens when compiling.

The first blue screen I get was when i tried to build (and rebuild) several libraries (irrlicht, boost, ogre... I'm speaking about compiling! not using)
I was thinking that the problem was just the MultyThread compiling (I was using 4 threads since I have a quad core).

So I disabled it. But today again 2 bluescreens when compiling. So here's a summary of the problems:

--When compiling with multiple threads the problem is very curious.

1) Some C::B /mingw process is not correctly terminated, and still running after the compile has ended OR aborted OR C::B closed. (so one or more cores are used up to 100% by processes wich are doing nothing (theorically))
2) Closing windows/ sometimes just closing C::B causes a blue screen (a system process has been terminated in a unusual way).

--When compiling with a single thread

1) aborting compilation can cause a blue screen

I'm not using PCHs.

I have window Vista latest update.
EDIT:
Also wanted to note that my Antivirus programm was disabled when compiling (I know antiviruses can cause problems sometimes so I put it off every time i start a programming session).. and wanted also to note that my antivirus marks "mingw" stuff as very dangerous (that's why i close the antivirus program :-*).

EDIT2:
of course i'm using code::blocks 10.05 (I tried both the mingw version shipped with c::B and the last stable mingw release both causes bluescreen
so maybe there's something in code::blocks since compiling from console works fine and also using GNUmake works).
I have by default 2 accounts on my pc . one with the c::B + shipped mingw and one account with the custom c::B setup with the latest mingw stable package
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:51:03 am by demone »
processor: Intel Core 2 Quad.
ram: 4 GB
gfx card: Ati Radeon HD 5570

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: BlueScreen on windows vista
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 01:15:57 pm »
No userspace can crash your OS, this is
1. driver problem
2. stability problem (overheating, broken/fat capacitors or something like that)
3. problem with you hard driver (click of death, bad sectors, etc)

For 2. just try a torture test program, like IntelBurnTest, prime95, Linx or something similar.
If you have overclocked your pc, remove the overclock and try again, keep in mind that
compiling is very heavy process.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline demone

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 12:03:47 pm »
No userspace can crash your OS, this is
1. driver problem
2. stability problem (overheating, broken/fat capacitors or something like that)
3. problem with you hard driver (click of death, bad sectors, etc)

For 2. just try a torture test program, like IntelBurnTest, prime95, Linx or something similar.
If you have overclocked your pc, remove the overclock and try again, keep in mind that
compiling is very heavy process.

well the pc I'm using for developing is very clean I don't think it has problems. I just have 1 browser, antivirus program, Ccleaner, c::b + needed libraries (8 libraries included ogre,boost and irrlicht) and my projects (3 actually). And the last time I formatted the pc it was 5 months ago.

And I'm not a fan of overclocking so overclocking is disabled.  (I know that some machines do overcloking automatically when needed but mine not and I will not overclock my machine)..

I tried intelburn test anyway Linpack at maximum stress level succeded... what else can be?

EDIT:

I rebooted the PC and runned scandisk on C and D. no problem founds. I think also that drivers are up to date and ok.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 12:20:05 pm by demone »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 12:54:49 pm »
I rebooted the PC and runned scandisk on C and D. no problem founds. I think also that drivers are up to date and ok.
Scan disk is useless. You should try a surface testing program. HyrenCD has many such programs.

p.s. If your cpu cooler is filled with dust it can cause overheating. Clean you PC, too.
p.p.s. You should run intelburntest for 20-60 minutes at least.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline demone

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 12:20:18 am »
I runned intel burst for more than 40 minutes.. the temperature probe detected 58 C° (CPU temperature) after intel burst. Usually when developing I spend most of the time writing code and sometimes compiling so when compiling i rarely go above 45-50 C°.. I think that this should be ok (unless also my temperature probe is broken. when not compiling I'm under 40 C°

If you have windows vista (32 bit) have you just tried to compile for example irrlicht (there is a code::blocks project inside source folder) and try to abort compiling when it is about at an half? (Aborting compiling on small projects doesn't cause blue screen).

I convinced my friend to reproduce the bug on his laptop (first I had to bluescreen my computer to show him that bluescreen is not irreversible damage .. mwahahah). Also his computer bluescreened (and now if his PC will break up I don't know if he will ask for refund XD).

Wich is the chance that this is an issue of my PC?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:33:51 am by demone »

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 03:37:40 am »
I'm using C::B under Windows for more than 2 year. No bluescreen happened.
I guess your system or some hardware problem, it is strange that you friend can reproduce your problem....
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 08:32:03 am »
demone:
C::B is a userspace probgram, there are no drivers in it.
The compiler you use is the same. No drivers in it.
Both programs use the OS APIs to communicate with the hardware.
So both programs can cause BSOD on their own, but drivers could.

The process of compiling is extremely heavy on the hardware, because it stresses all subsystems: CPU, disk subsystem.
I've seen my system crash under heavy compilation and later it turned out that my system is not stable. The OS is not so important.

How many threads are you using for your compilation? Try with only 1 if you use more.
Have you tried with to see if your hdd is OK, using a surface test program?

Have you tried IBT on your friends laptop? I guess it overheat as some of the laptops are not meant for heavy load.

Offline demone

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 08:56:08 am »
I was thinking that the problem was just the MultyThread compiling (I was using 4 threads since I have a quad core).

So I disabled it.
as previously sad i'm using just 1 thread for compiling. (after found that multiple threads are not very stable)

I tried the surface test and is ok..

Has anyone tried at least to abort a very long compile task on Vista? (10 or more minutes of compiling for a single target).
I tried to do the same on my old winXP and I have no troubles. maybe it is an issue of Vista?

@ollydbg: i'm trying to follow oBFusCATed instructions for find what is wrong, and my friend plays rage at high details on his laptop so he is probably have heating problems with newest GTX inside). Have you vista too?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:57:58 am by demone »

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 09:03:10 am »
@ollydbg: i'm trying to follow oBFusCATed instructions for find what is wrong, and my friend plays rage at high details on his laptop so he is probably have heating problems with newest GTX inside). Have you vista too?
I'm on WinXP.
I have used Vista before. I found that Vista's harddisk IO speed is too slow. When build a large project, it takes one times longer than build on XP.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline reckless

• Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 11:22:21 am »
Vista can be a bit quirky in places but is generally very stable. If you know how to tweak services you can boost its performance quite a deal by turning of indexing (slower searches but way faster disk io) search tweaks for vista.
As for BSOD's its newer easy to find out what causes it but compilers dont :) they may stress the system though so it triggers a fault but the cause is allmost 100% certain to be somewhere else. As an example i can tell you i been fighting for years with my gfx card causing lockups and black screen o deaths, i replaced every piece of hardware including the gfx card and it didnt work. Turned out to be a bad monitor so even when something seems obvious (likely a broken gfx card) it might not be that. The only advise i can give is if you dont have a massive amount of hardware to replace from, start with something minimal (mainboard cpu + ram and gfx card) try first with one stick of ram and if stable plug in more sticks. Continue with whatever piece of hardware you have (one at a time) untill it becomes unstable, and you most likely found the cullprit.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 11:48:35 am »
We are no forum for computer problems -thus, I am locking this topic now. To summaries: C::B cannot be the cause for  a blue screen as it runs in user space (as oBFusCATed said already). I may be the trigger, but the actual problem lies elsewhere.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ