Author Topic: BerlisOS is Closing!  (Read 30233 times)

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
BerlisOS is Closing!
« on: September 30, 2011, 07:15:57 pm »
Hi I just received an email about berlios eliminating the service and since I dont see anything about this on codeblocks forums I was posting just in case, since they are telling developers to move the projects to another repo.

http://developer.berlios.de/forum/forum.php?forum_id=37450

Terrible bad news  :(

zabzonk

Re: BerlisOS is Closing!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 08:01:45 pm »
Can I put in a vote for CB's next host - anywhere but SourceForge.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:51:17 pm »
Can I put in a vote for CB's next host - anywhere but SourceForge.
Other that that, can you also give reasons for such a statement?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline ptDev

• Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 11:16:48 pm »
Would Google Code be an acceptable place?

Offline Loaden

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 06:05:10 am »
Bad news!
I registered the codeblocks.googlecode.com, and ready to transfer ownership.
Looks googlecode is a good choice.
And maybe we can switch to Git version control system.

Offline ptDev

• Almost regular
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 08:23:26 am »
And maybe we can switch to Git version control system.

Is there any particular reason to want to abandon SVN? It has been serving its purpose fine until now, as far as I can see.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 09:37:51 am »
I also feel comfortable with svn, but I am open for git (if it really fits all our needs).

But I would prefer not to have google as hosting platform, it's not trustworthy in my opinion (this is just my personal feeling).

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 09:44:43 am »
Would Google Code be an acceptable place?
why not sourceforge?
also, i do not have a high speed network, so git is much better to view the changlog and diff on different revisions.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 02:22:49 pm »
But I would prefer not to have google as hosting platform, it's not trustworthy in my opinion (this is just my personal feeling).
I agree on that. In addition, SF has more features we might want to make use of, like MANTIS. Also, most of us have an account on SF anyways and I don't really want to have a Google account, if possible.

Coming to GIT - I agree with Thomas here, the only meaningful client that really takes things away from command line tools is SmartGIT, which (starting with the next version) also supports strong SVN/GIT coupling. You might be aware that those systems work very well together if setup properly (we do that at work that way).

This brings me to the last topic: I *think* we can have both: SVN and GIT and keep them in sync. As we have 2 alive SVN branches I don't want to switch for the moment without merging them first. I'll check, if SF offers tidy coupling of GIT and SVN repos...
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

zabzonk

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 09:44:38 pm »
> Other that that, can you also give reasons for such a statement?

I just find SF immensely user unfriendly, both as a maintainer, a downloader and a contributor. I started trying to use it for my own FOSS projects (none anywhere near as big as CB, it must be said), and gave up. I then switched to Google Code, with whom I've had no real problems for a couple of years, and who are currently hosting 8 of my projects.

Having said that, I'm not a contributor to CB, and of course the preferences of you devs must take precedence. I'd just like to see you not diving head-first into SF without considering the  alternatives carefully - you do have a couple of months to make up your minds, after all.

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 08:36:15 pm »
I do not know what I would suggest between SourceForge and Google Code.  From a user standpoint, SourceForge looks more polished, and is more commonly used.  However, the pages load slower, the downloads (currently) have a countdown timer, and ads are very visible.

Google Code is not anything special visually.  However, navigating its pages is snappy, and download links are direct (I think).

Bad news!
I registered the codeblocks.googlecode.com, and ready to transfer ownership.
Looks googlecode is a good choice.
Just curious... did you mean to say "Good news!"?

Offline Freem

• Almost regular
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 01:57:02 pm »
I'm not a contributor too, but I would just say something about sourceforge: it is unusable from some countries.
But I agree I hope you won't migrate to googlecode... (And I just notice that it is unusable for some countries too)

There are a few weeks, I have started a little project, and so I have searched about informations on different hosting sites.
I have found a nice document on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilities

I hope it will help you to choose the right one. (my personal choice were gna.org, and it was simply easy to set-up trackers and versioning system. The problem is that there is only cvs and svn, as far as I know, and no wiki too... so I don't think you will choose it.)

It is a terrible new that berliOS stop...

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 02:16:07 pm »
I guess the wiki is hosted on codeblocks.org, not on berlios.de, so there is no problem with it.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Sunday

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 06:53:57 pm »
How about github.com?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 08:05:05 pm »
No support for svn, I guess :)
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]