Author Topic: A wishlist item  (Read 4097 times)

Offline Radek

• Multiple posting newcomer
A wishlist item
« on: September 25, 2011, 09:10:15 pm »
The wishing: Synchronize highlighting of a file in the project tree with the file actually shown in the editor window.

Double clicking the tree changes the file in the editor window but the file can be also changed by the "dog ears" on the top of the editor window. These two methods of selecting a file are not synchronized. Moreover, you can single click the project tree and change the highlighting without changing the file in the editor. Sooner or later, you have a wrong file highlighted in the project tree. I think it is a bit misleading if the project contains more files and you decide to use rather the tree (because the tree is sorted) than the "dog ears".

My suggestion:
- change the highlighting in the project tree when the user selects another file using the "dog ears".
- change the highlighting in the project tree only if the tree is double clicked and the the file in the editor really changes.
- show highlighting in the project tree only if the tree is "unpacked" so that the file in the editor is also shown in the tree.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: A wishlist item
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 09:35:05 pm »
What version are you using?
In newer versions (nightlies), we have 'Show file in the project tree'.

What are "dog ears"?
The selection synchronization won't happen (at least if you don't implement it yourself :) ), because it sounds distracting.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Radek

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:11:43 pm »
I am using the svn builds. I haven't found a setting you are speaking about, where it is? The "dog ears" are the small tabs on the top of the editor window, displaying file names and allowing you to switch from one file to another. They can also be on the bottom of the window or at its sides. If you are finding attractive to have a misleading information in the project tree then I have nothing to add.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 11:15:28 pm »
What version are you using?
In newer versions (nightlies), we have 'Show file in the project tree'.
I am using the svn builds. I haven't found a setting you are speaking about, where it is?
Right click the tab or the editor, so the context menu opens. For me it's the last entry in it.

They can also be [...] at its sides.
Not at the moment, because it's not (yet ?) implemented in wxWidgets.

If you are finding attractive to have a misleading information in the project tree then I have nothing to add.

If you scroll through the tabs, it might lead to a slowdown for large projects to find the file in the project-tree.
Not yet tested, but should not be too hard to implement (possibly configurable).