Author Topic: Spell check dictionaries???  (Read 17932 times)

Offline BentFX

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • BentFX
Spell check dictionaries???
« on: September 27, 2011, 02:13:37 pm »
Set up spell check yesterday. The wiki had information about file formats and where to download dictionaries and thesauri. I found that compatible files were already installed on my Linux(I updated wiki).

The files also probably exist on most Windows machines, but I don't know where they'd be.

Could someone on a Windows machine post their findings on searching out existing spell check files in Windows?

If a compatible dictionary and thesaurus are common in Windows I'd like to get that info into the wiki.

Thanks
Whenever I go to Walmart I always request an intrusive pat-down from the greeter. It looks good on his resume, and it makes us all just a little bit safer.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Spell check dictionaries???
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 02:57:59 pm »
Probably a better idea would be for the SpellChecker to find automatically the needed files.
I'll add it to my TODO, because the popup at the beginning is quite annoying and not a good UI design. :)

p.s. welcome to the nightly builds:)
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 12:12:38 am »
I do not believe any compatible files are in Windows by default, however, Firefox and Thunderbird bundle a dictionary/dictionaries (C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\dictionaries and C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\dictionaries).  Enough Windows users have at least one of these installed that it would probably be worth it to also have SpellChecker search these directories.

Offline BentFX

• BentFX
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 09:08:32 am »
@Alpha, Thanks for the info. I've added it to the wiki. I'm kind of a purist, in the sense that I hate to see the same files, configurations or processes with multiple instances all over in the system. Spell checkers are one of my peeves. :)

@oBFusCATed said...
welcome to the nightly builds:)
Nope! Just signed up for the releases. You've failed Emperor! I will not turn to the Dark Side. I am a Jedi! Like my father before me. :)

I'm kinda ADD. Figuring out how to add comments to repos when I add them, without opening the .list or Synaptics is really a big thing for me. My sources.list has always been just a mess!

Probably a better idea would be for the SpellChecker to find automatically the needed files.
Yup, I can only agree with that. I don't understand exactly what's happening under the hood, but it would sure be nice to see spell checkers a little more unified across the system, and saving a single custom dictionary(Maybe with exclusions? Hope. Hope). I want exclusions! I don't care what the dictionary says, misspelt is.
Whenever I go to Walmart I always request an intrusive pat-down from the greeter. It looks good on his resume, and it makes us all just a little bit safer.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 09:18:09 am »
I want exclusions! I don't care what the dictionary says, misspelt is.
You can add any word to your personal dictionary manually:
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,11307.msg100962.html#msg100962

And (if your spellchecker plugin is recent enough) you can edit this file by right-clicking the flag in the statusbar and chose "Edit personal dictionary".
If this option is not available, possibly because the 10.05 statusbar implementation does not have this ability (don't remember at the moment), you can edit it (the personal dictionary) manually in C::B's config-folder (on linux in ~/.codeblocks).
Its called "xx_XX_personaldictionary.dic", where "xx_XX" is the language-code.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 09:40:20 am »
Nope! Just signed up for the releases. You've failed Emperor! I will not turn to the Dark Side. I am a Jedi! Like my father before me. :)
Jens is a bad man, is he packing the spellchecker with 10.05?  8)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline BentFX

• BentFX
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 11:25:38 am »
@Jens...
You can add any word to your personal dictionary manually:
Yes this all works fine. "Right-Click the flag", didn't know that. Works great.

What I was talking about is "exclusions." Lets say I use the en_US dictionary and it works well for me. But I prefer spelling humour, rather than humor. I can add humour to my personal dictionary, but I can't exclude humor(cause it to be marked as misspelled). An exclusion list allows you to 'remove' words from the dictionary.

And even now, C::B(en_US) is marking humour as misspelled, and Firefox(en_US) is marking humor as the bad word. Firefox(en_US) seems to have no problem with misspelt, but misspelt is misspelled no matter where you are. C::B(en_US) knows misspelt is bad!

I think spell checks are great. I just wish I was using the same one everywhere, and I could remove words as well as add them.

I'd like to see spell check as a system service, with additions, exclusions and intelligent autocorrect(macro expansion?) With intelligent autocorrect, cb could automatically correct to Code::Blocks.

Anyhow, spell check is great. I'm just not happy with it. :D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 01:21:15 pm by BentFX »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 12:25:00 pm »
BentFX: Keep in mind that there is a topic in the plugins sub-forum related to the SpellChecker. I suggest posting the Feature requests there.