Author Topic: New Code::Blocks Icons  (Read 63865 times)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: New Code::Blocks Icons
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2011, 09:58:57 pm »
ollydbg you like that bubble? :shock: Interesting.
I like that bubble, too. It's a requirement to place the version, or SVN revision numer. A logo basically cannot be without that, remember the posting I referenced previously.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2011, 02:53:55 am »
I was exploring using source code to file up the blank space.

What about using one of these squared out highlights for the version number instead of the bubble?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:07:23 pm by Alpha »

Offline Freem

• Almost regular
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2011, 10:37:06 am »
They are split, no?
At the moment, I prefer the bubble...

Offline Dreamy

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2011, 05:27:30 pm »
Okey let's have a bubble.

That source code is quite messy isn't it? Also you changed orientation of the logo and it looks bad again.
I though logo orientation was tweaked enough, rather don't change it, it messes colors and reflection.

Offline daniloz

• Regular
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2011, 08:28:51 am »
I like the source code... and prefer a square instead of a bubble...

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2011, 07:59:13 pm »
They are split, no?
Is this a question for me?  (If so, could you explain what you mean.)
(By the way, I think I prefer the bubble as well.)

I though logo orientation was tweaked enough, rather don't change it, it messes colors and reflection.
Agreed; I had started a new file to try the source code version out, but I will be going back to build it off the previous file as soon as I can (blender is currently rendering something else).

I ... prefer a square instead of a bubble...
Any particular style?  (For example: the full square; just an angled underline; tab off the bottom; sharp outline; blurred outline; darker; lighter; other...)

Offline Freem

• Almost regular
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2011, 01:15:11 am »
I mean that squares are "not finished", like if someone cuts them... (I'm sorry, I don't know how to explain better... my english is not good... But you already know that :D )

If they are here to contain the version number, maybe they could be full visible?

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2011, 03:33:02 am »
Sorry if I kept people waiting, I did not want to post until I had something to show for it.
Inserting the code directly into the simplistic splash wreaked havoc on the lighting.  The closest I could come to it was by rendering the logo + shadows and the code separately, compositing them afterwards.

@Everyone: There are now multiple variations in version number highlights (including leaving it blank).  Also, there are multiple splash image backgrounds.  What combination of the two is your favorite?

@Freem: Your English is not that bad.  (It is far better than my French. :))
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:07:50 pm by Alpha »

Offline ptDev

• Almost regular
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2011, 03:35:30 am »
Sorry if I kept people waiting, I did not want to post until I had something to show for it.
Inserting the code directly into the simplistic splash wreaked havoc on the lighting.  The closest I could come to it was by rendering the logo + shadows and the code separately, compositing them afterwards.

@Everyone: There are now multiple variations in version number highlights (including leaving it blank).  Also, there are multiple splash image backgrounds.  What combination of the two is your favorite?

@Freem: Your English is not that bad.  (It is far better than my French. :))

I prefer the rectangle (splash screen on the right). The bubble really feels out of place for me.

Offline Dreamy

« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2011, 07:11:29 am »
The reason I am no longer writing anything is that I believe the code in behind completly wrecked the look by bringing too much of "3D" in it.
Code behind the logo looks no better than a punched tape and the part that is readable is quite lame (hell cool, we create a string and call setEnv).

About bubble vs rectangle: the bubble will not ever fit in the picture, as it looks like a coffee drop on a white napkin. On the other hand,
the rectangle is sticking out because it looks like it was added in MS Paint. I still don't get the idea why there must be some special place
for version number, when it can be placed the same way the text is and it won't look any worse.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2011, 07:24:26 am »
I was exploring using source code to file up the blank space.

I think the code snippet behind the logo is ugly, I prefer a clean background.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline Freem

• Almost regular
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2011, 09:20:10 am »
the rectangle is sticking out because it looks like it was added in MS Paint.
:lol:

I don't think I could have found this comparison, but... It's true.
I don't think you should make it like the bubble, but maybe find a a way between the pure MS-paint and the coffee mark...

I'm not an artist, so, sorry if I don't have many things to say about those logos

@alpha: I think this is harder to learn french than english... "conjugation" (not sure about the word) often mess french people too.

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2011, 08:42:25 pm »
I still don't get the idea why there must be some special place
for version number, when it can be placed the same way the text is and it won't look any worse.
As long as there is white space, the version number can, of course, be placed there (like the current splash).  However, I also wanted to give the option of a highlight for the number.

I looked at Code::Blocks' previous splash, and tested that style here.

(I am planning to reduce the blue - make it more gray - and better center it.)  What do you think?

With respects to using code in the background, I just selected an arbitrary section from Code::Blocks' source.  Does anyone want me to try other variations with the code?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:08:21 pm by Alpha »

Offline Folco

• Regular
    • Folco's blog (68k lover)
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2011, 09:09:48 pm »
Could you put a random svn number in a picture, but without rectangle, without circle ? Just a string like "svn 1234", "v. 09.11"

I think just a number would be enough, the important part of this picture is the logo (the 4 squares) and the string "Code::Blocks".
Kernel Extremist - PedroM power ©

Offline Dreamy

« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2011, 09:25:09 pm »
Yeah yeah! Let's not make a "helipad" for version number, simply place it the same way the text is placed and it may look just fine.
On the other hand, this rectangle looks way better than the "mspaint" one, though the color, as you said, not really matches current design.

Another opinion on the source code version: Most of us look in the damn code all days, we don't want it to scare us even on a splash screen.  :D

Btw when talking about previous splash screen inspirations, we really need to close this gap a little...

I believe you found better font than those previous splash screens had, but maybe the Code::Blocks label could be a little bit decorated, probably like on the first splash screen.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:39:02 pm by Dreamy »