Author Topic: CC makes cb hang  (Read 24727 times)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: CC makes cb hang
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 04:46:43 pm »
:oops: I found a serious error in my instructions two posts above :
the first revision to be merged has to be the reviosion of last merge !!
Absolutely true (I should have mentioned that, too)!
Could you do me a favour and also add the note I sent to you and oBFusCATed as PM? This is also very important. That basically screwed out last re-integrate merge. As I see more and more devs doing merges (which is OK) I think it is important to all. I didn't find the PM in my outbox though.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 07:07:16 pm »
:oops: I found a serious error in my instructions two posts above :
the first revision to be merged has to be the reviosion of last merge !!
Absolutely true (I should have mentioned that, too)!
Could you do me a favour and also add the note I sent to you and oBFusCATed as PM? This is also very important. That basically screwed out last re-integrate merge. As I see more and more devs doing merges (which is OK) I think it is important to all. I didn't find the PM in my outbox though.
Added to the wiki.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 09:06:29 pm »
Added to the wiki.
Thank you. :D BTW: Reading the article clearly makes me happy that I am using a front-end (SmartSVN in my case) which makes things way easier and less error-prone. So, my suggestion would be: If unsure, don't use the command line but use the knowledge of experts and use a front end. ;-)

BTW: SmartSVN is by far the best front-end I found. It's commercial (unfortunately), but there is a free foundation edition. However, a lot features come with the commercial license (which I own). For example: The whole branch / tag / integrate stuff is totally simplified and e.g. with a graphical branch visualisation.

Also very nice: Their SmartGIT client, coming with full SVN support in the next version. So grabbing / synchronising a GIT tree out of/into our SVN repo will be easy. And no, I am not getting paid by Syntevo, but I believe it's a really good piece of software.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 10:56:52 pm »
In the beginning of the debugger branch, I was using git-svn (or something like that).
In the end it turned out that it doesn't support the useless (in my opinion) rev/author/date tags.
Thus generating a patch was impossible and I had to use dir-diff to generate the patches.

So Morten before using SmartGIT, check if it supports this tags.

Also if be more branch-friendly in the future, we should switch to git/hg/something fashionable, where merging is no problem!
The smart client won't fix the problem, it will make it show less often.

p.s. the debuggers branch is the only time I've used git (never used hg or something else), so I can't say if we should/must switch.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 09:08:07 pm »
So, now what revision should I use to merge the debuggers branch (trunk to debugger_branch)?
Also what should be the revisions for the opposite merge, if I decide to test it?
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 10:21:11 pm »
So, now what revision should I use to merge the debuggers branch (trunk to debugger_branch)?
Also what should be the revisions for the opposite merge, if I decide to test it?
For the merge use the revision of last merge (7386 at the moment, if I remember correctly) and HEAD.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 09:23:54 am »
ALWAYS: Revision of latest merge from trunk + 1 (even in the case this applies to a different branch) to HEAD.

ALWAYS: Revision of branch creation until HEAD, and make sure you do a re-integrate merge.
If you are talking about applying specific items - as you like, as long as you don't commit.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 10:38:01 am »
ALWAYS: Revision of latest merge from trunk + 1 (even in the case this applies to a different branch) to HEAD.
I'm confused again...
I've used the revision, which has commit message '* debugger_branch: merged with trunk (trunk to debugger_branch); fix files not correctly merged due to an incorrect use of "svn merge" (shame on me)'

ALWAYS: Revision of branch creation until HEAD, and make sure you do a re-integrate merge.
If you are talking about applying specific items - as you like, as long as you don't commit.
I don't want to commit, I just want to test what will happen :)

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 10:41:05 am »

That's  not correct (at least on commandline) !

The first revision has to be the revision of last merge !!
It has worked before (in most cases), because a merge with the wxSmith-branch was made directly after the debugger-branch merge, so no changes to trunk have been lost.

svn merge -r 7386:HEAD --dry-run svn+ssh://jenslody@svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/codeblocks/trunk .
--- Merging r7387 through r7418 into 'src'

Svn merges the changes that are made between the first given revision and the last given revision !

Quote from: http://www.informit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0131855182
• -r --revision] arg
Give the two revisions to be merged between, in the form -r N:M, where N is the
older revision and M is the newer revision. The revision numbers can be reversed to
reverse the merge direction.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:53:13 am by jens »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 12:14:05 pm »
I believe I am right, but probably some of us misunderstood. So lets see in pictures and by example, what I mean:

In the image you see a snapshot of CC's repo. Let's assume, 7392 is the latest revision.
If I would like to merge from trunk to wxSmith, I would choose: r7388-HEAD
If I would like to merge from trunk to Debugger, I would choose: r7387-HEAD

That's what I meant and this should pretty much be correct - at least that works on my personal repositories very well (even the re-integrate merge worked flawlessly).

Do you agree on that?

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 01:27:58 pm »
I believe I am right, but probably some of us misunderstood. So lets see in pictures and by example, what I mean:

In the image you see a snapshot of CC's repo. Let's assume, 7392 is the latest revision.
If I would like to merge from trunk to wxSmith, I would choose: r7388-HEAD
If I would like to merge from trunk to Debugger, I would choose: r7387-HEAD

That's what I meant and this should pretty much be correct - at least that works on my personal repositories very well (even the re-integrate merge worked flawlessly).

Do you agree on that?

This would work (on commandline) in this case, because the revision you use as first revision is not a revision of trunk.
As posted before, the merge command uses the changes between the first revision and first revision + 1  up to the changes in HEAD for merging:
svn merge -r 7386:HEAD --dry-run svn+ssh://jenslody@svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/codeblocks/trunk .
--- Merging r7387 through r7418 into 'src'

It might be that SmartSVN is so smart, that it hides that from a user and does it in a more logical way (in my eyes) and use also the changes in the first given revision for merge.

But that's obviously not the way svn behaves on commandline, as the output from my dry-run shows clearly.