Author Topic: Code::Blocks slow as molasses  (Read 25136 times)

Clojster

Re: Code::Blocks slow as molasses
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 12:01:52 pm »
The problem I described above occurs in RC2. Yesterday I upgraded to SVN build 2211, but the problem is still there. Now I can see the mouse pointer while moving in editor, but typing is terribly slow...

I'm on Linux by the way. On Windows everything is fine (I have tried it in vmware). I have the same problem in wyoEditor too.

Try to de-activate some plugins or all and see if it works better. In your system work all other applications normally (fast)?

Best wishes,
Michael

Of course... everything is smooth and fast. Only this editor has this weird behavior...

And this slowdown persists even when every plugin has been deactivated and c::b restarted...
I really don't know where can be the problem... :/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 12:08:31 pm by Clojster »

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 12:33:23 pm »
I remember a bug-report on sourceforge.net that said that this problem is related to the nvidia graphics driver. Unfortunately the bug tracker for the sourceforge-project auf Code::Blocks is disabled, so I can't show you this bug report.
Anyway, I didn't check if this bug could be reproduced. I have a nvidia graphics card (4200TI) and I'm using the nvidia graphics driver (I'm not sure which version I have installed - must be something like 6xxx.) but I don't have such problems. But the editor uses quite a lot CPU-power compared to other editors. But as it is not a problem for me I didn't deactivate this driver to see if the editor uses less CPU-power with another graphics driver.
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Real Programmers don't write in BASIC. Actually, no programmers write in BASIC, after the age of 12.

Clojster

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 12:54:12 pm »
Well, that was me myself who reported that bug. But even when I reported that bug I wasn't sure for 100% if it's related to graphics driver... I'll check it out. And I think that every other text editors works pretty good with this drivers so I wouldn't blame them. I think that bug is in the editor itself...

EDIT: Ok, now I have tested it with standard Xorg's "nv" driver. The problem isn't that markant as with nvidia drivers, but it's there too. CPU usage raises, but typing and moving with mouse has better responsibility with "nv" drivers.
Also by turning off all plugins help in therms of CPU usage while typing and moving cursor above the editor... So I think that responsibility problem might be in nvidia drivers, but that CPU usage is terrible...

What about let the users decide which editor they want to use? (Some option withl list of choices)? I'd prefer VIM (gvim)...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 01:29:54 pm by Clojster »

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 02:00:46 pm »
Well, sounds like a nice idea but this would require a common interface for all editors. I'm not sure how much of Code::Blocks depends on scintilla but I don't think that you can just take another editor and replace the old one without at least some changes. I think it should be possible but the problem is: is it really worth the costs? The current editor works quite well (apart from this problem) and I don't believe that most other editors would be better. OK, you said you would prefer VIM. But do you really need it inside Code::Blocks? And how much other users would also choose a different editor? I don't believe that there are a lot of them. And to achive this you must create a common interface for all editors that shall be supported (if this interface is not already there) first and then you have to care about more than just one editor. You have to integrate and test new versions, etc.
As I said, it sounds like a nice idea but I don't think it is worth the costs. Just my opinion and not the opinion of a developer so don't take it into account to much ;)

PS: Sorry for OT...
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Real Programmers don't write in BASIC. Actually, no programmers write in BASIC, after the age of 12.

Clojster

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 12:04:38 pm »
Well ok, I think it would be great to have the possibility of choice :)
Maybe some developer could tell us what he thinks?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 12:27:47 pm »
I think it is way out of sight. The benefits are not that big, and integrating another editor would take us several months when in fact the Scintilla component is one of the best editing components in existence and works seemlessly and without any problems for most people.
Actually, it works quite well for many people under Linux, too. I don't know what the problem is in your case, but it might really be a setup problem?

When thinking about the integration of a new default editor, remember that you have to make it work cross-platform, you have to interface with wxWidget's drawing and event system in both directions (how do you do that with VIM without rewriting it from scratch...?), have to take care of things like folding as well as colour and syntax styling (all of these are configurable in the settings), and have to rewrite a lot of code that uses or depends on editor functionality (several plugins and core components).
Sorry, but a massive change like this without absolute need is madness. It takes a lot of work, it is unlikely to improve anything (the opposite is likely), and it is possibly never going to work at all.
If the Scintilla control in the main editor were to be replaced, it should at least be something which is based on wxWidgets, so the event handling and the base interfaces would be compatible.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

DJMaze

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 05:48:54 pm »
Scintilla has somesort of bad memory management and this is not C::B related.
I've tested Scite and Notepad2 which both use Scintilla and it gets realy messy on files > 1MB.

For example i opened a 3MB file in Notepad2 and Scintilla popped up a warning box "Are you shure to open this large file"
After clicking yes it took 20 seconds to open the file.
Running a (regex)search took 40 seconds.

In other editors like WinSyntax or UltraEdit i had no issues at all (UltraEdit even 1GB files).

I a haven't looked in the Scintilla source but it seems they only use stack memory which is limited to 1MB per process on windows, or the heap and moving/allocating to much data.

takeshimiya

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2006, 06:13:12 pm »
I've tested Scite and Notepad2 which both use Scintilla and it gets realy messy on files > 1MB.

For example i opened a 3MB file in Notepad2 and Scintilla popped up a warning box "Are you shure to open this large file"
After clicking yes it took 20 seconds to open the file.

Sorry I can't confirm that, opening a 50MB file takes less than 3 seconds here in those programs.

What it is a bug in Scintilla is the slowness, that only occurs on GTK on linux and on certain configurations.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2006, 06:36:08 pm »
No offense, but this is plain bullshit. I just edited a 37.5 MB file with 494,000 lines in Code::Blocks to verify this claim. The same block of lines copied and pasted many times, then saved to disk.

On my machine, opening such a ridiculously big file takes about 8-9 seconds, and there is a lag of about half a second while editing. Cutting 50 lines from the middle of the document and pasting in another place (arbitrary position) takes no longer than half a second, either.
Deleting the first 1,000 lines from this document takes about a second. Deleting the next 10,000 lines (after the first 1,000) takes about 12 seconds. Saving that document takes about 3 seconds.
Editing a 2.2 MB file (which is still outright ridiculous) has no noticeable delay at all (cutting and pasting a block the size of about 50% of the text takes under a second).

Similar figures for SciTE, except that SciTE has no noticeable lag at the beginning of arbitrarily large documents (to be honest, I only verified "arbitrarily large" with a 80 MB document). Instead, editing gets delayed only at the end of the document. However, for any reasonable document size (under 5 MB), there is no noticeable delay at all.

How can you call this "bad management"? Honestly, I could not possibly write an editor that performs any better than this (or which even gets near that). Can you?

If you seriously consider editing source files whose sizes are on the order of several megabytes, you have a problem. It is not your editor, though...

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the above numbers include the overhead for the code completion parser, which consumes massive CPU and memory, too. And yet it still works acceptable at file sizes that are really unrealistic (whose source files are >2 MB?).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 06:44:29 pm by thomas »
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

DJMaze

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 06:45:12 pm »
Hmmm then it's probably something bad in my computer then when you guys don't have that lag.

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006, 09:24:35 pm »
Hmmm then it's probably something bad in my computer then when you guys don't have that lag.

I serviced medium and large computer network organizations for
for over 20 years. Inevitably, compaints of this type turned out to be
the video driver. Once upgraded/replaced, the problem went away.

SirMike

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2006, 07:26:14 pm »
I have a similar problem on my Slackware Linux. Also with all plugins disabled. Tried it with, KDE and fluxbox - the same result on both. Other apps work fine (like SciTE) so it must be a C::B problem :( I need to use Vim again instead of my favourite IDE

My PC is Sempron 2800+, 1GB RAM, GF6600
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 08:05:59 pm by SirMike »

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2006, 09:02:12 pm »
I have a similar problem on my Slackware Linux. Also with all plugins disabled. Tried it with, KDE and fluxbox - the same result on both. Other apps work fine (like SciTE) so it must be a C::B problem :( I need to use Vim again instead of my favourite IDE

My PC is Sempron 2800+, 1GB RAM, GF6600

Hello,

Which C::B revision are you using? If RC2, try to build C::B from the SVN sources.

Anyway, I am not sure that it is a C::B problem. I use C::B on Ubuntu and my PC is Pentium III 500MHz with 500MB RAM. C::B is slow as any other applications I use. IMHO your problem is not dependent on C::B (not directly anyway).

Best wishes,
Michael

SirMike

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2006, 12:33:39 pm »
Which C::B revision are you using? If RC2, try to build C::B from the SVN sources.
Anyway, I am not sure that it is a C::B problem. I use C::B on Ubuntu and my PC is Pentium III 500MHz with 500MB RAM. C::B is slow as any other applications I use. IMHO your problem is not dependent on C::B (not directly anyway).

I use yesterday's SVN revision compilation. I installed SciTE and this problem doesn't exist there.
I'll try newer drivers for my graphic card and let you know what happen.

// EDIT - The newest drivers for my GF6600 didn't affect performance. I also noticed interesting fact - In MinGWStudio for linux, which also uses scintilla the problem occurs too. Weird :| Is it any feature that I can disable to test them more?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 12:54:22 pm by SirMike »

takeshimiya

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2006, 01:41:39 pm »
Ok, more than one people have reported slowness when using:
-Code::Blocks (wxScintilla+wxWidgets) [Scintilla+GTK]
-wyoEditor (wxScintilla+wxWidgets) [Scintilla+GTK]
-MinGW Studio (wxStyledTextCtrl+wxWidgets) [Scintilla+GTK]

and it doesn't happens in SciTE (Scintilla+GTK).

So, there are high chances that it's a wxScintilla/wxSTC bug, or a bit less-likely, wxWidgets.

More testers? Profiling?