Author Topic: Setup envirenment for PIC18  (Read 11178 times)

Offline LordCB

• Multiple posting newcomer
Setup envirenment for PIC18
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:48:24 am »
Hello friends,

I begin to programming mikrocontrollers and I have to use the Mplab ide. Its horrible. During my normal C++ Programming I use the good old C::B so I would like to use it for mc. I have a PIC18F67J60.

What are the base steps for configure my favourite IDE C::B to use it for mc programming?

Which compiler I have to set up?

Thx in advance!

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
Re: Setup envirenment for PIC18
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 12:16:40 pm »
Currently CB doesn't support the Microchip compilers afaik. The only compiler that supports PIC18 or PICs in general is SDCC which u can use with CB and u should check the current version if it has support for 'PIC18F67J60'. U can go with this configuration but there is one handicap introduced. Although MPLAB has a built-in debugger, the configuration with CB won't have a debugger at least in GDB style. U may use 'gpsim' though.

Offline LordCB

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 04:08:50 pm »
Thanx very much,

but I don´t understand why it is not runnable. I thought each compiler can be integrated, as yet, the C:: B IDE offers the possibility to integrate third-party compilers,  otherwise I could not use the compiler in the console and would be bound to the MPLAB IDE?! Or do I misunderstood something??

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 04:28:39 pm »
Probably you can integrate another compiler, but you need to change the compiler plugin.
If you decide to add it look at the other compilers for clues how to do the integration.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 05:30:41 pm by oBFusCATed »
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline LordCB

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 05:09:05 pm »
Hmmm ok!

Thanx...

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 02:42:24 am »
I didn't say it can't be integrated, I said it's not integrated currently, u may try if u wish. ;) But keep in mind that hardware debugging is MPLAB's functionality not compiler's afaik. That means u still won't have a hardware debugger with C18 integrated into CB.

Offline LordCB

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 11:35:12 pm »
Ok,

now I have use a custom Makefile to compile this all stuff for my mic but your right I have reach the dead end.
Now I need a HW debugger thats the point the gpsim don´t support my mic. I could start gpsim with the cod file etc. but it ignores the mic.

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 12:33:54 am »
U may want to try this. It might need specific hardware though and I don't know if it can be integrated into CB or not.
http://openprog.altervista.org/pdb_eng.html