Author Topic: Annoying recent behavior in the editor tabs...  (Read 5591 times)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Annoying recent behavior in the editor tabs...
« on: May 04, 2011, 10:43:36 pm »
Hi again guys. Here's something I need to report and perhaps get help about.

We know that since 8.02, C::B has this "open files" dialog pop up whenever you press ctrl-tab. I had always been a bit of annoyed by it, but I guess I had got used to it. This was fine until getting a recent nightly, which has another annoyance.

If by any chance the mouse happens to be over the editor tabs, whenever I press ctrl-left, instead of moving the cursor a word forward or backward, it moves the whole tabs. It's totally irritating, especially because over the years I've grown a habit for moving the mouse away from the editing area, just over the tabs most of the time, but until now I never noticed where the mouse was (which was actually the point).

Worst of all, whenever I the mouse happens to hover on one of the tabs, a little pop up showing the full filename shows. Which would be perfectly fine, except for a little detail: I can't type a thing. Grrrrr!!!!

So, here are a couple of requests that would make me very happy:

a) Provide the users with the (optional, of course) means to skip that popup list (I see now how ctrl-left and ctrl-right work on the tabs, so I guess ctrl-tab and ctrl-shift-tab could already be mapped on it... I hope).
b) Make ctrl-left and ctrl-right do what they're supposed to do.
c) Don't eat keystrokes when a tab hint shows up.

Thank you very much, and keep up the good work!

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Annoying recent behavior in the editor tabs...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 10:47:54 pm »
Unfortunately the eat key thing is something broken in the wxWidgets. It happens also for the debugger tooltips.
If you know a way to fix this problem, I'll be happy to implement the fix :)
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Online Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 11:04:22 pm »
a) Provide the users with the (optional, of course) means to skip that popup list (I see now how ctrl-left and ctrl-right work on the tabs, so I guess ctrl-tab and ctrl-shift-tab could already be mapped on it... I hope).
b) Make ctrl-left and ctrl-right do what they're supposed to do.
c) Don't eat keystrokes when a tab hint shows up.
a)  uncheck "Settings -> Environment... -> Notebooks appearance -> Tooltips on tabs -> Show tooltips",
b) works correctly on linux, but on windows the focus is switched to the tabcontrol if the mouse is over it, because it can not catch mouse-events otherwise,
with other words hard to change, but I will look into it,
c) I will see if it's possible

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 11:10:16 pm »
a)  uncheck "Settings -> Environment... -> Notebooks appearance -> Tooltips on tabs -> Show tooltips",

Um, that's not what I meant... I meant the little window that says:

Code
-----------------------------
       Open Files

file1.cpp
   file2.cpp
   etc.
-----------------------------

whenever I press ctrl-tab or ctrl-shift-tab.

b) Thanks!
c) Thanks again!

I think that perhaps both b) and c) would be possible by redirecting all key events (that are not ctrl-tab or ctrl-shift-tab) to the editor widget.

EDIT: I just realized that the key-eating happens no matter if a hint appears or not... so perhaps there could be a way to just disable the autofocusing tabs on mouseover as a workaround? I see there's a "move tabs with mousewheel" option in the Environment Settings, but it doesn't affect on whether the tabs are auto-focused or not.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 11:16:51 pm by rickg22 »

Online Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 11:25:47 pm »
Try to change the shortcut-key for "View -> Switch tabs" with the keybinder plugin.

For the key-eating (or better the forced mouse focus), it's done always on windows, not only if scrolling with the mouse-wheel is enabled, but this can most likely be changed easily (it's on my todo-list).

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 02:38:08 am »
Try to change the shortcut-key for "View -> Switch tabs" with the keybinder plugin.

Ah, wonderful! Now I feel more productive :)

For the key-eating (or better the forced mouse focus), it's done always on windows, not only if scrolling with the mouse-wheel is enabled, but this can most likely be changed easily (it's on my todo-list).

I wish I could give you a hand, but alas, my free time is reduced. Thanks!

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 04:16:28 am »
Unfortunately the eat key thing is something broken in the wxWidgets. It happens also for the debugger tooltips.

Is there still no fix for this? (Drives me nuts when using a trackpad)

Online Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 06:30:54 am »

Is there still no fix for this? (Drives me nuts when using a trackpad)
Not reallay, the only part of the key-event I can catch is the key-up.
I can use it to close the tooltip, but the first keystroke is already eaten in that case.
I can also use it to inject the appropriate character in th eeditor, but this is errorprone, because keyhandling (especially for special charactres, or with metakeys pressed) is not so easy.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 10:31:21 am »
This is fixable, but you need to patch wxWidgets and you should add wxWANT_CHARS style to the tooltip. I had a patch somewhere, but I'm not sure where it is...
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]