Author Topic: Application and static library dependencies  (Read 3765 times)

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
Application and static library dependencies
« on: March 02, 2011, 09:45:55 am »
Hi,

I am working with a C::B workspace that includes several static library projects, plus a couple of applications using these libraries. FYI I am on WinXP using Nightly Build 6992 and using MS VC2008 compiler, and also Linux Kubuntu/GNU compiler.

For the application projects, I have declared (in Project Properties -> Project's dependencies) that they are dependent on the static library projects they use. I know I could use DLLs/shared objects instead of static libraries, but let us keep that out of the discussion for now.

If, during application development, I make a mistake in the application code (it happens!!  :lol: ) it obviously causes the application build to fail. But If I fix the error in the application code, it seems that C::B wants to recompile all the dependent static libraries, even though they compiled successfully in the previous attempt. This seems like a bug to me? So far the system is not so big that it is a major problem, but for a larger system it could be.

Is this a known issue, or am I missing something obvious?

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Application and static library dependencies
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:41:59 am »
Works here (linux) correctly (with static and dynamic libs).

Do you click on build or rebuild ?
Rebuild cleans the projects (also the dependencies) and does a complete rebuild, clean does the same (without rebuild of course).

If you only use build it should work as expected.

But I did not test it with msvc just gcc.

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
Re: Application and static library dependencies
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:10:59 pm »
Works here (linux) correctly (with static and dynamic libs).

Do you click on build or rebuild ?
Rebuild cleans the projects (also the dependencies) and does a complete rebuild, clean does the same (without rebuild of course).

If you only use build it should work as expected.

But I did not test it with msvc just gcc.

Looks like I have misinterpreted something, because now I cannot reproduce it. But I would almost swear there was something like this going on....