Author Topic: Team developing (CVS)  (Read 7281 times)

Offline erotavlas

• Multiple posting newcomer
Team developing (CVS)
« on: February 28, 2011, 05:35:45 pm »
Hi,

I would like to know if in Code::block is present a tool for team developing like CVS and if there is a way to use the diff command inside the ide.

Thank you

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Team developing (CVS)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 05:56:51 pm »
There are some SVN plugins, most of them are abandoned.

There is a new plugin in the works, you can follow its development here: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,14184.0.html

Regarding diffs:
1. There is a diff plugins -> cbdiff or something like that, never used it, so I can't comment on its features
2. The better option (in my opinion) is to setup a tool which uses external diff tool (WinMerge, Diffuse, TortoiseDiff, etc). See the docs/manual how to setup a tool (if the GUI is not self explanatory).

p.s. If you plan to host your new project inside CVS, don't use some of the newer/better VCS-es (git, mercurial, svn)...
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline erotavlas

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:50:40 am »
Ok,

thank you for your answer. Yes, it is better to use svn instead cvs. But if I don't understand bad there is no way to use svn inside codeblock at the moment. Is it right?
What can I do? I have to change my IDE?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 09:54:56 am »
Don't know, use a dedicated VCS  software like: TortoiseSVN, TortoiseCVS, TortoiseGIT or a linux/unix equivalent...
Or help the development of cbvcs :)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 10:05:41 am »
Ok,

thank you for your answer. Yes, it is better to use svn instead cvs. But if I don't understand bad there is no way to use svn inside codeblock at the moment. Is it right?
What can I do? I have to change my IDE?

What would be even better is a bzr (Bazaar) plugin. bzr can also be used as an svn client (I have tested it recently) so a C::B bzr plugin could serve both svn and bzr users.

A half-decent work around for the "missing bzr plugin" is mentioned in http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,13723.msg92518.html#msg92518
It is based on the QBZR GUI.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 10:15:15 am »
For me it looks quite complete, there is bzr diff, so 50% of the integration I'll ever use is there :)
What is missing is bzr blame (if there is such thing), if such a thing exist the integration for me would be 100% complete  :lol:

I'm not a bazaar user, you can replace bzr with git/svn/hg, ... and I would say the same...

Offline erotavlas

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 02:44:54 pm »
I'm on windows 7, how can I get the bazar plugin and install it?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 02:51:07 pm »
It is not a plugin, but a set of Tools...
See the documentation for how to setup a tool in C::B.

The setup is similar to this one for Visual studio: http://philiphendry.wordpress.com/2010/09/17/creating-a-shortcut-key-in-visual-studio-2008-to-launch-tortoisesvn-diff/

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 09:31:01 pm »
For me it looks quite complete, there is bzr diff, so 50% of the integration I'll ever use is there :)
What is missing is bzr blame (if there is such thing), if such a thing exist the integration for me would be 100% complete  :lol:

I'm not a bazaar user, you can replace bzr with git/svn/hg, ... and I would say the same...

To be 100% complete, one could wish for right click options for bzr in the project tree. It would reduce the need to switch projects in a workspace sometimes.

'bzr blame' exists, also known as 'bzr praise' or 'bzr annotate' for those without a sense of humour  8) . bzr is really good. It is extremely flexible and easy at the same time. C::B could benefit from some active suport for it I think.

Btw: I think it is a minor design flaw that C::B workspace files change when you switch the active project. It causes endless commits of workspace files in the source control system. The definition of active project should be managed in another file not subject to source control, IMHO, perhaps something like project .layout files.

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 09:46:30 pm »

Just install the Bazaar 'Standalone Installer'
http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/WindowsDownloads#The%20Standalone%20Installer
to get bazaar with QBzr. Qbzr is just some additional baazar command line commands (prefixed with 'q' to indicate the GUI version) launching easy to use GUI windows. For example 'bzr merge' becomes 'bzr qmerge' and 'bzr commit' becomes 'bzr qcommit'. These 'q' commands make it easy to define C::B Tools menu entries for using bazaar.

To use bazaar with svn, read for example
this http://blog.tplus1.com/index.php/2008/03/22/use-bazaar-and-subversion-together/
or this http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/migration/en/foreign/bzr-on-svn-projects.html

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 10:28:37 pm »
To be 100% complete, one could wish for right click options for bzr in the project tree. It would reduce the need to switch projects in a workspace sometimes.

You can do this by combining the "tools+" plugin with qbzr (the "tools+" configuration is clunkier than the regular tools menu, but it lets you add commands that operate on files in the project tree, the active file in the editor and files or directories in the FileManager plugin)

Offline erotavlas

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 02:35:01 pm »
Thank you for your response.
Is there a way to import a project written in NetBeans and/or Eclipse inside a Code::block? I have found it only for Dev and Visual Studio.

Offline erotavlas

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 03:25:33 pm »

Just install the Bazaar 'Standalone Installer'
http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/WindowsDownloads#The%20Standalone%20Installer
to get bazaar with QBzr. Qbzr is just some additional baazar command line commands (prefixed with 'q' to indicate the GUI version) launching easy to use GUI windows. For example 'bzr merge' becomes 'bzr qmerge' and 'bzr commit' becomes 'bzr qcommit'. These 'q' commands make it easy to define C::B Tools menu entries for using bazaar.

To use bazaar with svn, read for example
this http://blog.tplus1.com/index.php/2008/03/22/use-bazaar-and-subversion-together/
or this http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/migration/en/foreign/bzr-on-svn-projects.html

I'm trying to use your suggestions. But if I try to use one command from tools menu I get "could not execute the tools. Check the log for details. Could not execute the bzr qcommit. Is there a way to change all the command or have I to change one per time?

thank
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:28:42 pm by erotavlas »

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 04:11:17 pm »
I'm trying to use your suggestions. But if I try to use one command from tools menu I get "could not execute the tools. Check the log for details. Could not execute the bzr qcommit. Is there a way to change all the command or have I to change one per time?

thank

Not sure why you have problems with this...

The first thing you should do is to verify that you have bzr working outside Code::Blocks. Just open a terminal window and try for example 'bzr init' to create a local working tree. If that works, then try the QBZR command 'bzr qadd' etc. If this works, I see no reason for it not to work directly from the Tools menu.

Perhaps there is a startup issue. Log out of the OS and in again to be sure.