Author Topic: Actually getting started  (Read 7196 times)

Offline Atom Byte

• Single posting newcomer
Actually getting started
« on: February 22, 2011, 08:59:08 am »
Hi everyone!

Me, i am completely new to codeblocks (yesterday) and any form of programming, a blank canvas!
I have the want and need to learn and have spent months downloading, installing and having a quick look at most of the ide's out there (windows 'V' based).
Over the months i have realised that most have a similar look and feel about them and obviously different languages mean different learning curves.
I am still in the dark as to what best suits my needs and where to start.
With devcpp installed and checked over and then finding codeblocks and getting it installed, gave me a first clear idea about CB, i liked the way everything is layed out and and my first wxWidget build is easy to follow with menubar and statusbar neatly organised at the top. The fact that they are already aligned within the application build, without spreading out over the frame, is great.

From there, as a noob, without tutorials i am at a loss. I have checked the wiki and site and can't find what i am looking for.
If anyone knows where i can find working examples, tutorials or video guides it will be a step in the right direction.
Idealy if anyone knows of one i'd like to find a working (maybe OS) personal diary i can play around with and adapt to my needs, im a great believer of hands on learning for fast progression.

Either way, thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Actually getting started
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:12:02 am »
Buy a good C++ book, this is the best way.
If you don't know anything about programming and algorithms buy a good algorithmic book, too.

"The C++ Programming Language" by the C++ creator, maybe is the correct book for beginners (I've not read it, but I plan to).
"The Art of Computer Programming" by D.E. Knut is a classic algorithms book (I've not read it, too)
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Atom Byte

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:51:22 am »
Of course!
But i think i'd prefer to try and find online tutorials for that. Its more cost effective at the moment  :)
You said that you haven't read what you suggest i read! Doe's this mean you are up to scratch with c++?
I mean if you are a c++ programmer and know codeblocks and eventually wxwidgets, surely you have some other pointers or suggestions to help me get started with this new install??

No what i need are pointers to get me started. Where-as other ide's have wxWidget examples/templates to work with, i believe CB doesn't.
I don't want to get swamped down with a new language immediatly, more play around and discover how an application is layed out and what doe's what. You know a bit of trial and error, learn as i go. It took me 24h to discover i had the wrong wxpack installed  :? But i eventually got it working, through google and the wiki.
Now that i have managed that, a bit of click and see, to try and get to grips with the ide

Thats why i asked for pointers to tutorials, vids and what-ever can be used to get me started.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:11:24 am »
Of course!
But i think i'd prefer to try and find online tutorials for that. Its more cost effective at the moment  :)
C++ is extremely complex language, so online tutorial based learning won't be efficient -> you'll waste a lot of time and then you'll need to read the book anyway.

You said that you haven't read what you suggest i read! Doe's this mean you are up to scratch with c++?
Yes, I'm using it at work :)
I've read other books, similar to the two I've suggested. The books are in Bulgarian, so if you don't know this language, the book I've read won't suit you :)

No what i need are pointers to get me started. Where-as other ide's have wxWidget examples/templates to work with, i believe CB doesn't.
I don't want to get swamped down with a new language immediatly, more play around and discover how an application is layed out and what doe's what. You know a bit of trial and error, learn as i go. It took me 24h to discover i had the wrong wxpack installed  :? But i eventually got it working, through google and the wiki.
Now that i have managed that, a bit of click and see, to try and get to grips with the ide

Thats why i asked for pointers to tutorials, vids and what-ever can be used to get me started.
Here are some wxWidgets tutorials for C::B, http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=WxSmith_tutorials
And C::B has a wxWidgets template, see in File -> New -> Project -> wxWidgets
(if you don't have this template, please reinstall codeblocks and make sure you've checked and installed the scripted wizard plugin)

If you want to build gui apps without much learning, go somewhere else.
C++ has very steep learning curve.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Atom Byte

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 12:04:30 pm »
Wow your a friendly dude!

Firstly your obvious reply in buying a book is, as i imagine, a great welcome message for anyone!

Secondly:
I have the want and need to learn
So telling me to go elswhere if i don't want to learn, seems a bit strong, over the top and out of order.
I don't even know you, and because you work with c++, certainly doesn't give you the right to be condescending towards anyone wanting to learn.
I mean as a noob, i can't see me being any real threat to your reputation, work or income, so whats the problem man? If you don't want to help people constructively move forward, why bother replying.

But a big thanks for the links anyway, thats what i meant by a point in the right direction.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 12:24:06 pm »

Firstly your obvious reply in buying a book is, as i imagine, a great welcome message for anyone!

Secondly:
I have the want and need to learn
So telling me to go elswhere if i don't want to learn, seems a bit strong, over the top and out of order.
I don't even know you, and because you work with c++, certainly doesn't give you the right to be condescending towards anyone wanting to learn.
I mean as a noob, i can't see me being any real threat to your reputation, work or income, so whats the problem man? If you don't want to help people constructively move forward, why bother replying.

But a big thanks for the links anyway, thats what i meant by a point in the right direction.

You wrote that you have searched the wiki, and the wxSmith tutorials oBFusCATed pointed to are there !

Be aware, that this site is not dedicated to teach programming, it's a site dedicated to the development and the use of C::B (the wiki and the manual are there to help you starting).
But it's up to you to find out which way is the best to learn C++ for you (and to find the right place).

If you seriously want to start learning C++ programming it would be a goo idea to do the first steps on a console, to learn how the compiling and linking process works.
That's just my opinion and as stated before, you have to find your own way, but you also have to accept the opinions of others, even if they sound too harsh to you.

Offline Atom Byte

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 01:24:43 pm »
Hi Jens,

I am fully aware that the community is not there to teach me how to program, and i can imagine that it can become really tiresome for you all when people come constantly along hoping for some sort of miracle explanation into programming. As i thought i stated in my post, maybe unclear dunno, i just wanted pointers in the right direction. Sure i understand that the ide needs a working knowledge of C++ to make a gui work and that eventually i will have to get my head down and learn.
Either way i have to learn and it has to be C++, so where i learn and with who all depends on the ide and the community that use it. As and when i get to grips with it, it will obviously go in the favour of the community and tools used.

You said:
If you seriously want to start learning C++ programming it would be a goo idea to do the first steps on a console, to learn how the compiling and linking process works.
OK, thanks! i'll check that out!

You also said
You wrote that you have searched the wiki, and the wxSmith tutorials oBFusCATed pointed to are there !
Yes i am going over them now and have the list cds example done and open as i write this. Strange because its actually a step in the direction i am looking to go with my first application (a sort of personal diary/journal), the next step is to actually make it do something when i hit the buttons. save new entry, add new entry, delete entry, search entry etc etc. But all in good time!

As for accepting others opinions, as with critics, i agree 100% if they are constructive. A welcoming slap in the kisser isn't really my idea of constructive though.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 01:54:24 pm »
:shock:
You've asked for advice and I'm giving it...
Here is another link: http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/big-picture.html#faq-6.7
Good luck...  :P

stefanos_

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 12:20:53 pm »
oBFusCATed, you said it right buddy. I haven't seen anything wrong with your posts and let's face it: it's not an easy process for the human mind to interpret a written message as a friendly or aggressive argument. I haven't seen any aggressiveness therefore...officially it was a misinterpretation from Atom Byte, isn't that right buddy? ;)

Atom Byte, since you have decided to learn C++ and wxWidgets, I would like to congratulate you for your decision. I have to warn you though about the path you have chosen to follow; it's not an easy one. Trust me, I have been teaching myself this beautiful language for 8 years now and it's not an easy process, especially when you work and read at the same time and have other things to do as well.

More or less though, as soon as you start "speaking" C++-ish, you will see everything from a different angle, perspective. You will be able to differentiate an artistic code from a disgusting one that looks like spaghetti.

To help a bit with your decision here you may find a few ebooks online for free:

A few books I would recommend are the following:

• C++ Primer Plus - Stephen Prata
  • The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference - Nicolai M. Josuttis
  • The C++ Programming Language: Special Edition - Bjarne Stroustrup
  • C++ Templates: The Complete Guide - David Vandevoorde and Nicolai M. Josuttis
  • Standard C++ IOStreams and Locales: Advanced Programmer's Guide and Reference - Angelika Langer and Klaus Kreft

If you want more book titles, please let me know.

Cheers

stefanos_
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 12:15:10 pm by stefanos_ »