Author Topic: Why aren't project files and workspaces autosaved?  (Read 3154 times)

Offline Overv

• Single posting newcomer
Why aren't project files and workspaces autosaved?
« on: December 24, 2010, 06:22:03 am »
Why do I need to save project files and workspaces manually? I have more than once worked on a project for several hours only to find that none of my compile/linker/etc settings were saved when Code::Blocks crashes for whatever reason.

Offline xunxun

• Almost regular
Re: Why aren't project files and workspaces autosaved?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 06:43:51 am »
Environment settings - Autosave
Regards,
xunxun

Offline Overv

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 06:55:11 am »
Ehm, I meant saving when I change a setting, like with Visual Studio.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 01:14:28 pm »
Your settings are saved when you close the project or the IDE, after asking you. Code::Blocks does not automatically overwrite files without asking, ever (except in case of a bug). I cannot imagine that Visual Studio does that, either. That would be a serious malfunction.

If your computer is unstable and you are afraid of losing data in a crash (I'm not seeing crashes any more often than maybe once in two months), use the autosave plugin, as pointed out by xunxun. This will take snapshots of your open files and your project file without overwriting the original data.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."